FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

VOLUNTEERING

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

There can be many benefits to volunteering, if it be weekly, monthly or even just as a once off experience.

It must be extremely rewarding if you can travel over seas to volunteer, unfortunately that is not possible for everyone.

There are so many different ways and places to do volunteer work. It does not matter if you help overseas or locally, the difference you can make in a person's life is something that may be immeasurable.

If you were to consider a volunteer role, where would you go?

I have recently started at a Riding for the Disabled group in our region. I don't know much at all about horses. I didn't even know how to put a bridle on a pony let alone a horse. Some of the horses are so big!

If anyone would like to share their comments and thoughts here, you are most welcome.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

23 Replies 23

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mrs Dools,

Great post - volunteering can be a great way to feel good and give back too 🙂

I've found that volunteering has helped a lot with my mental health. When I was younger I helped out with St Johns Ambulance and later a bit with a hospital.
I've also done a fair bit of online stuff too which I think is great for people who struggle to leave the house.

Riding for the Disabled group sounds interesting. I don't know a lot about horses but my friend has a few and she says they are incredibly gentle and calming to be around.

Guest_3072
Community Member

I currently volunteer at my local hospital and do some media projects within the hospital as well, because I am skilled in that area.

I would love to also volunteer in something where I can be creative and do stuff like facilitate groups, whether that's with youth, and I would also consider doing volunteering opportunities with the elderly.

But there's only so much volunteering you can do, especially if your are studying and working, but I definitely love the face to face type of activities.

And it really does help you to be a part of something bigger than yourself and meet new and different people also!

Gabby

Hi Gabby,

Thanks so much for sharing your story about volunteering. There are so many opportunities out there to do such a wide range of activities and duties.

I was speaking to someone a while ago who said they would never volunteer for anything. If a job needs doing then it should be paid for. That person is now in their 70's.

By their attitude I feel they may have greatly missed out on opportunities, friendships and learning new skills.

Then again, volunteering is not for everyone, I understand that too.

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools

Hi Romantic_thi3f,

Thanks for your post and sharing. You must have learnt a lot helping with the St. Johns. When I do my first aid courses, I sometimes get so muddled with all the information you need to learn in a short period of time!

I agree with you, volunteering can certainly help with mental health issues!

Online volunteering is wonderful in so many ways, like you mentioned for those receiving the help and attention and connection, and also the fact you can do it any time of the day or night!

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Doolhof. I would love to volunteer overseas, I know I can do some nutrition volunteer work as I am qualified to do so, however I feel like I can't because I haven't worked in nutrition before. I also worry about money and needing the time off to go overseas. I would love to volunteer more in mental health. I try do so by coming on the forums here and by giving my opinions on the beyond blue material. I have done some volunteer work through uni (when I was still at Uni) by showing people around on open day, being a secretrary to a uni association and by being a mentor. I have also told a new year of students about mental health and how important it is to not ignore it but to acknowledge it so you can get adequate support at uni. I know from that two students talked to uni supervisors and registered with disability services, makes me feel like my struggle was worth it because I may have help someone. I am about to move to Brisbane so I would love to join a group of like people who want to volunteer in mental health or something similar.

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Mrs. Dools,

Good on you for your active involvement in the Riding for the Disabled group. It seems like it has been an interesting learning curve for you. But I think learning and being challenged is generally a good thing 😊

Wow, such diverse volunteering roles and aspirations, everyone. Love it!

I volunteer at a mental health organisation. To be honest, I feel as though I have gained more than I have given from the lessons learnt and new skills acquired to the unexpected friendships with other volunteers.

Also, it has made me feel grateful after each volunteer shift; it makes me feel infinitely luckier than some people who have been dealt a truly horrific hand in life. So even if I have given, I have personally gained more than I had ever anticipated.

I would love to volunteer with animals one day, specifically, dogs. That would be a dream.

Also, I would love to volunteer overseas to help with health and mental health policy. And education. I'm a huge proponent for education. Most of us in Australia are quite lucky as we can take education for granted but it's something people have to fight for overseas.

Dottie

Guest_322
Community Member
*correction: some people have to fight for overseas.

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
OMG I would also love to volunteer with dogs. I love dogs so much. If I am having a horrible day they just know how to make it better. One day I am going to adopt a dog. I am starting work at a new hospital in Brisbane so I am going to look for some volunteer stuff there I think. It will help me meet people

Hi Steph,

Yes, dogs are incredible. Many dogs instinctively know you're having a rough day and will be extra affectionate 😊

All the best at this new hospital and hope you find a meaningful volunteer role there.

Dottie