FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Talking to your inner critic, can it be tamed?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do you have an inner critic ? Have you ever tried to talk to your inner critic. This is what happened when I tried. In my Be yourself thread people asked about how I interviewed my inner critic. So here it is.

This is adapted from a writing exercise to interview your inner critic about one's writing. As my inner critic has an opinion all aspects of my life I decided to broaden the scope of the interview.

Me: I welcome (well I don't really) this opportunity to find out why you always need to have an opinion that is always negative about me and my life.

IC: I thought this was going to be a friendly interchange of ideas but there you go with your anger and hostile remarks. I do not see myself as negative but as helping you, because you do need help.

I am here to help you why can't you see that?

Me: So when I am trying to sleep and you tell me about all my mistakes, embarrassing moments, how does that help me?

IC: I thought while you are in bed you would have time to consider some of your past behaviours. This I feel will only help you to improve.

Me: If you are so helpful why do I feel so worthless, so sad, so ignorant when you are around? Do you really know how low I can feel when you are constantly telling me all my faults?

IC: You make yourself feel that way- I am merely pointing out the truth. It is not my problem that you are so weak.

Me: Maybe this was a bad idea you are never going to listen to me or understand me.

IC: Have you ever thought that maybe you shouldn't listen to me if I upset you so much.

Me How can I ignore you when you are so loud at times.

IC: See this is what I mean you are so weak. You have the power to ignore me, to silence me but all you do is whinge and complain.

Me: I am ending this interview. Enough is enough.

What would you say to your inner critic and what do you want to hear from your inner critic? Maybe you can have a go at interviewing your inner critic.

Quirky

822 Replies 822

Thanks Quirky.   I got onto your original thread...be yourself etc...but all the entries appear to be from 2017. So no point in posting on that one is it?   Don't know how to get "newest" ones.  Thanks for being in touch.  Hope things are OK for you weather wise, fire, floods etc this time around.   Where I am in Q we have continuous dreadful heat and particularly humidity....very debilitating.  No one feels like doing or going anywhere and everyone feels the same....its been awful!   But we have missed the floods and destruction so have to be grateful for that I guess.....

Moon 

I find with  my long threads when someone replies even after a while I reply and then often get replies.

i have a question for you and anyone reading.

Do you hav3 an inner critic whose voice can be very strong at times.

Moon I know you like yourself and have confidence but I wonder you ever have self doubt. 

take care and hopefully you have a coach who encourages you and not a inner critic. 

Hello quirkywords

I will reply even though you addressed this to Moon.

You added anyone reading.

Yes I most definitely have an inner voice that questions me.

I possibly used to see it as criticising and now through the help of therapy see it as questioning me.

Today I am going to bravely say challenging me as I learnt this morning of another loss of a good friend which I knew was coming. Hard yes.

Aside from that news I naturally talk to myself which includes questioning myself.

I think that dealing with that scenario and everyday challenges is on some days very challenging.

The fact that this is unknown and unseen to most in my world adds to the intensity.

I think that a greater part of my challenges now are not my past but contending with a society that is so fast paced it misses those who are silently struggling at times.

This might not make sense.

I am used to that though.

What are your thoughts?

Ems