FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Talking to a loved one can help

Rose1920
Community Member

I've been like this for as long as I can remember. I grew up with abuse and divorce , my dad leaving us and making a new family, and an over powering mother who's idea of parenting was that similar to how a warden treats a prisoner. I always thought that considering all the things ive been through that I was fairly normal. Never felt like I was depressed. But there was always something different about me and I just thought everybody was like that. It wasn't until two years ago that I realised I had anxiety. I get frequent panic attacks, tight chest. Pains in the chest, shaking and all the symptoms you could think of. I'm scared of everything. I have a very small comfort zone so when I'm outside of that I get scared. Simple things as going to the hairdresser I get anxious. I have a big fear of death. And when I walk down the street I'm scared that everything will kill me. A tree will fall on my head or a car will crash into me. The "bogey monster still lives under my bed": that's how bad i am. I have had my boyfriend for 3 years now and I can tell you that his support has been phenomenal. There are times where I push him away during my anxious times but he sticks by me. Since having him and someone to talk to my symptoms have lowered. I have less panic attacks, and I'm not as afraid as I was. I still have a lot of work to do. He is the only person that knows of my anxiety and I'm worried I've put too much pressure on him. I fear of telling people as I have always been the "happy" girl and I don't want people to think of me as anything else. I want our relationship to work so that is my motivation to get this anxiety the hell out of my system so I can live a fear free ,panic free ,full life. 

Sorry it's so long 🙂 but my objective of this was to express my life with anxiety and to show that talking to a loved one can impact very positively on your battle 

1 Reply 1

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Rose,

You are a trooper.  Often we don't want to "burden" our loved ones.    

I was wondering today if people that have death experiences, i.e. during operating and the such, go through some out of body experience and float away only to return to their bodies because "it isn't time", etc, ever get anxious about death ever again ?  Or does the whole thing lighten people up and make them more accepting of life and all it's problems ?

Some spirituality is required but also a good person to relate to, talk to and feel supported.

But then my rather manipulative and cranky mother in law underwent stent surgery and apparantly died 3 times on the operating table.  At 88 yrs, I couldn't help feeling that it was not just death that was cheated.  Lol.

Adios, David.