FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

overeating - how do i stop?

may_04
Community Member

hi everyone.

I hope you are all happy and well.

for years now I have had problems with food. I'm not sure if it's just a being lazy thing or something more serious, but I definitely have a problem.

I just keep eating all the time. whether I'm hungry, full, bored, sad, happy - I just eat and I can't control myself. especially when I'm out at a party or something and there's a table of food where I can just eat anything at any time.

when I want to stop eating I'll either go and brush my teeth or chew gum, but that only works for around 30-60 mins. Is there some way I could stop overeating?

- may

10 Replies 10

chadicha
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hey May, i truly understand how you feel- through-out this lockdown i really struggled with overeating to deal with a lot of my emotions and lack of interactions but i did manage to get a lot better. I found when i overate it was out of an emotional place which i didn't even consciously recognise. As soon as i started to address the reason why i'm feeling stressed, anxious, etc. such as for an assessment, or personal issue i noticed my attention shifted to trying to actually fix that issue rather than living with the feelings that caused me to seek food more regularly. Usually, something that is burdening you even if your unaware of its existence is causing you to mask the underlying feelings by consuming foods which give that temporary distraction/release. This is something most of us go through, especially in different seasons in life. Please don't be too hard on yourself, i really believe a kind transition where you begin to focus more on the mental/emotional/spiritual aspect of your life may really help provide some insight into why you are overeating and can help you to stop doing it so much.