FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Nature is both beautiful and healing...πŸŒ²πŸŒΈπŸ¦‹

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone....

I love nature and I find it very helpful in helping me in healing way..when I’m not in a good head space...I was wondering if others feel the same and am hoping that you might share your piece of nature, whether it’s a small patch of grass in your back yard..somewhere that you drive to, to just relax, somewhere close to you that you walk amongst...and if you have really taken the time to listen, watch, feel, smell, the wonders all around us..

I love nature..the trees, flowers, creatures both big and small, it’s my solitude place, a place I go to when things are getting to hard for me..

I am lucky, I have this huge gumtree which I found out about recently...
It was planted around 70 years ago by a local here when she was a little girl, and living in the house I’m now living in...About 5 years after she planted it, a strong wind with rain blew it down....A few of the locals saw her trying to stand it up to replant it...and they came to help her...and successfully managed to replant it....Today it’s easily over 60feet tall and just as wide, the trunk of the tree would need 4 people to hug it by joining hands..
The tree stands in front of my place and in front of the paddocks across from me..which the owner has some Angus cows, which love to lay under the tree....Birds are everywhere here, and a few use the tree as their home..

I sit outside for hours sometimes, watching the birds come and go for food and water I have supplied for them in bird feeders and bird baths....It’s a beautiful and peaceful way to relax watching and feeling what Mother Nature has provided for us...
For me it’s both calming and healing...

Do you have a piece of nature around you...and how does it make you feel when you take the time to just look and take in the wonder of it all....

We would love to hear about how nature helps you...and do you find that it can be healing for your soul...

Kind and caring thoughts everyone..

Grandy..

71 Replies 71

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Grandy,

My "pet" magpie came to attack my window again. I asked it if it wanted some pats but it flew away. I think it prefers my window's company to mine!

I go to the park every day but I don't feed the ducks. I like to watch them, they're really cute, floating around in the water! Sometimes when the ducks aren't around, I've seen some owners let their pet dogs swim around in there too. They look so happy in the water that it makes me happy too.

Cheers,
M

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Emmen

My husband's grandmother loved magpies and she used to feed them bits of bacon. Consequently they loved her back!

I enjoy their warbbling but am a bit skittish of them, especially this time of year.

Could your maggie be attracted to a colour in your room or colour of an article of clothing you're wearing?

Kind thoughts to you

I haven't been doing well lately but saw this thread & thought it might help to remind myself of the effect of nature. I like birds & animals to look at from a distance but I'm not comfortable too close but plants, & natural beauty definitely help me. With the current restrictions I miss being able to go for a walk without worrying about how long I take & how far it is from home.

As a child in England every Sunday my dad took us to a park with a lake & beautiful gardens. I remember watching the swans float on the water & the lovely plants. In the afternoon My parents took us to a different park with a lake with ducks to feed & sloping lawns to run around & roll down. After coming to Australia we would escape from the migrant hostel on the weekends & holidays. A favourite spot was Warburton with the river flowing over rocks & lovely trees overhanging the river. I think those early experiences have primed me to feel peace & a sense of belonging in similar environments.

After talking to my psych recently we decided I needed to spend time in a park with a lake. Unfortunately it is outside the 5 km limit so I have a letter from my psych to carry to explain why I need to be there. Even though I identified the place as the most suitable without going too far over the 5km limit when I went I was surprised at how it affected me even when I was really stressed. Walking along the edge of the lake seeing the sunset light up the clouds & shine on the water seemed to calm me down. Around the lake are thousands of trees

This thread has reminded me how important it is for me to seek out those places which lift me& take the time to stop & look at the flowers, clouds, water, rocks or clouds & feel the breeze or warmth smell the flowers or fresh air & listen to the sounds. Maybe this will help me to recover

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Everyone

in my old house I really liked the lizards they were all sizes and they used to come out the front at night and play.

A big lizard sat near me while I put my washing on the line. I used to talk to him.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Elizabeth and everyone...πŸ€—..

I am so pleased that you found this thread and it’s helped you to remember what nature is capable of doing to our souls...

I woke yesterday morning early enough to see the sunrise...it was so beautiful the golden sun rays giving the darker clouds a silver and golden edge to them...As the suns rays shone through the leaves of the gum tree..it gave it a magical appearance...The birds began flying around and singing in the new day just as the sun rose...A new day for every living creature on earth starts with the sun rising...

I think a lot of people are so busy with their lives, that they probably haven’t even looked at any trees, they see them daily but never look at them...even the clouds people see them yes...but do people look at them, the different shapes they form are constantly changing in the sky, the way they peacefully float around in the sky...

There is so much more to nature then just a place in between getting to and from work, or shopping etc....

Taking the time to appreciate and really look at nature is a natural and beautiful way of grounding ourselves in a busy life..

Grandy...

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

When I'm travelling I like to take photos. This forces you to concentrate on what you are seeing & makes you notice the things which make the photo special. I have a photo i took several years ago of a canyon in the rocky mountains in Canada. It was taken following a blizzard so snow sits on every flat surface contrasting with the black rocks where the snow has slid off vertical surfaces. In the background are tall trees against the grey sky. I love the photo because of the lovely patterns the snow makes against the rocks. It is in my lounge so it can bring back happy memories of that beautiful place. Another photo shows white fluffy clouds reflected in a lake surrounded by green vegetation also reflected in the water. Of course photography doesn't have to be restricted to holidays.

Gandy your mention of people not noticing clouds reminded me how taking photos have helped me in the past notice more details too often missed.

Hello Grandy

Yes I put in birdbaths when this house was built 30 years ago....The other bonus with birdbaths is the magpies here in southern vic chase out the Indian minors πŸ™‚

Thankyou for your wonderful heartfelt compliment too Grandy x

Paul

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Paul and everyone...

I am pleased that you have birdbaths at your home...I often watch my birdbaths/feeders for some mindfulness practise...You’re Welcome Paul..They are words said in truth..

I had to look up Indian minors...I wasn’t sure on them..We have minors out here in central NSW, but they are common minors...and don’t cause territorial trouble...

The King Parrots have returned after a few month of disappearing...I think they fly up to Queensland in the colder months..It takes me a while to be able to hand feed them...Well worth the effort though...

The other day I saw a very big Blue tongue lizard sunning itself on the road...Unfortunately many drivers out here don’t look out for the wildlife on the road...I stopped and scared him off the road, I don’t know who got more frightened the lizard or me..they can look scary when they hiss at me...at least it was safe when I left it..

Kind thoughts everyone..

Grandy..

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone...

Today is beautiful..blue sky, white fluffy clouds with some different shades of grey under, around, in the middle and on top of them....

I was sitting outside this morning just looking over at the mountain ranges..noticing that the air was so clear today, I could actually see the gully’s running down the mountains..and the trees very clearly....

Bringing my gaze back to the cows in the paddocks..and seeing them munching on the grass..some sitting some standing..I noticed heaps of tiny white butterflies fluttering around..they seem to be hatching from the Pattinson’s curse weed..such a beautiful weed with striking deep tall purple flowers...I noticed that the little butterflies were fluttering around in groups of two..flying up a little bit together and twisting around each other and doing the same on their way down...they reminded me of fairies doing ballet happily around the beauty of the flowers...

A few even fluttered across the road to my front yard..The more I looked the more I seen..like drifting snow with the sun out...They took me away from my mind and into a small magical world...When I headed back inside I was surprised to find out that I was watching the butterflies for more then 1.5 hours...I felt relaxed and calm...

Has nature help anyone in feeling calm with some peace inside your soul?.

If so it would be beautiful if you can share your experience with nature..

My kind thoughts with my care..

Grandy..πŸ¦‹πŸŒΉπŸ’­πŸ›πŸœπŸ•·πŸ•ŠπŸŒ±

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dearest Grandy, what a beautiful thread and wonderful posts to read too!

I had to read them all lol and enjoyed every single picture.

I'm immersed in nature. I use my laptop on my balcony where I look out to the bay over my trees and a beautiful BIG gum tree too! We see kookaburras in the old gum tree lol and the other night one of my children saw a silhouette of a Brush Turkey way up high, as high as she could go, in the gum tree. It was awesome to see. The cockies love it too lol. Cheeky things.

The gum tree is shaped like two lungs and if you try, you can see it also forms the shape of a HEART! I LOVE it.

When some city slickers moved into our street 10y ago, they tried earnestly to get it cut down...
I said if it dies prematurely I would dob them all in to Council...
It's still alive and houses so many birds.

We have bird baths and also dare I say it... snake and lizard drinking spots. Low flat dishes in spots around as the snakes and lizards are often very thirsty too.
It's a little disconcerting to see one all of a sudden, better seeing her slithering away lol.
But they can't help being snakes, so I love them too.

We live in a "treehouse" lol... the balcony is almost 3 stories high and we're at the top of the trees. When the wind blows we can hear the branches and leaves rustle and I love this... it's the third home I've lived in like this and I don't want anything differently.

But for the first 5y or so here, it sounded like men were jumping on our roof at night.
It was scary until I worked out it was the Brush Turkeys making their way back to the bush by hopping from roof top to roof top and having the odd scuffle on the way lol.

It'll be interesting to see what adventures in nature this Summer brings.

I hope it's many wonderful memories in the making for all of us.

Love EM