FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Long term prospects with mental illness

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Many of you if not all worry about your future. Understandably so as the journey from realising you have one to diagnosis, meds, therapy, recovery and the ups and downs that takes decades of personal endurance all take their toll. You know what I'm talking about. But it doesnt have to be all bad news, depending on many factors of course.

So not I'm 65yo and I was a late starter in terms of realising I had some mental illness issues, 2003 and 47yo when my then partner read a book called "ADHD in ADULTS" and said- thats what you have. Well 6 years of taking medication for ADHD was a drama as it turned out I never had it in the first place- second diagnosis was bipolar2, depression and dysthymia. I'd also had anxiety since 1987 but I licked that as described in other threads. So 2009 onwards I began proper partial recovery with the right meds, therapy for a couple of years and from then on self learning/research etc. So what is life like now? In a few words- "As good as I could every expect it to be and fairly happy".

We often talk about "acceptance" of our mental illness as being a milestone of sorts, it is and once accepted in your mind, it becomes not such a big deal. You accept that many people are very naïve with the topic, you accept you have your good days and bad, you accept some discrimination in society and so on. You get to a point when you are comfortable about it. Any issues with other people is their problem.

I study humans a lot. You watch chain smokers puff away as they tell you that your medications aren't good for you (quasi psychiatrists), or the comments on social media of one person disagreeing on a common topic and saying "you must have mental issues to support that Government", you support your partner in every way and ensure you give them enough love and support when you are capable with the mutual understanding that it cant be the same on your bad days. All of these conditions of flexibilities become, eventually, a comfort zone. It wasnt always like that of course. It has taken hard work but my message is that it is worth it. The move from the city to a country town, ridding my life of toxic people (even including my destructive mother sadly), now retired but when working I strived to get my dream job that had no shift work and I worked alone, financial independence and a pet, our dear mini foxy along with hobbies.

There is good prospects long term for us all is we make the commitment and changes needed for best results.

TonyWK

4 Replies 4

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tony

i was diagnosed with bipolar nearly 50 years and in that time I have studied ,raised children,

volunteered, gave talks to community groups and each day learn more as well as overcome struggles. 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TonyWK. I missed this last year! I've no doubt my response to your introductory post would have been different, & I doubt I would have posted then.

Even over the course of one year, things of the body & mind can change, sometimes dramatically.

I had a serious physical diagnosis & then some serious surgery, & I'm still recovering from that, physically & emotionally.

Sure, the future frightens me. I tend to imagine worse things, & stress trying to keep a lid on the worry about 'what if'. I still 'beat up' on myself, feeling I'm not doing enough, not trying hard enough, not able to follow 'simple' instructions, not caring enough for myself - not enough of anything, it seems, because now I'm trying to do so much better, especially with my diet & exercise, but I can't see (feel), any changes, 'quickly enough'!

I still fear that's what other people think, too, whenever I go for a check-up.

I have come round to accepting I will always have, to some extent, some difficulties with my mental health. It's, as you say, some good days & some not so good days.

I am a 'work in progress', hoping for no extreme set-backs, but to keep moving forward, if I have a stumble, thinking now, I can deal better & get up again.

This year, too, I've noticed my memory declining, in my opinion, quite badly - knowing 'it could be worse', remembering the neighbour who used to live upstairs, & how severe his dementia had to get before anyone could step in to help. He didn't understand by then that he needed help, & the whole episode was distressing for him, & me too.

I don't want that for my future. But I don't know how to ensure it won't be,

I'm more surprised now how much & in what ways I am still affected by events of 50 years ago. That's why I think my mental/emotional health will be something of concern for the rest of my life. If new 'issues' didn't turn up, & old ones could be permanently resolved, I could be okay.

Take care, & hugzies,

mmMekitty  

Hi mmk

It sounds like you are doing well considering your recent ordeals.

I suppose the basis of my thread is- that our ambition is not to forget our issues but to reach a comfort zone where we are at peace, peace for us as individuals would all be different so set a goal of what peace will mean to you. 

While on your journey to peace, your own input is valuable- "I'm struggling but I'm alive, I can walk, I can talk, hear, hug, listen and smell... life is beautiful". 

I'm not downplaying anyone's issues, I'm saying "in a leaking boat if you can keep it afloat you'll still watch dolphins, the rising sun and seagulls fly."

TonyWK 

Quirky, that's the spirit. You've balanced a full life, even overcome tragedy in recent times but you're here still and contributing. It's why this thread was written.

You are overall "successful".

Are you at peace?

TonyWK