FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

It takes a long time....

check-in_chick
Community Member
I think like a lot of people when I first sought help for my depression (didn't even know that's what it was back then) I was after the magic pill. I have a sore throat I get some pills....I have a headache.... etc etc. A year or so on now through hospital admissions and a suicide attempt, I have finally come to a point of awareness and acceptance. But it hasn't been easy and it is still not easy....it is had work to be well sometimes. Really HARD work!. I don't want to put anyone off from trying because I can see how that might sound. "I am lost.... I see no future....I feel hopeless and worthless...why would I want to work hard to perpetuate this endless nothingness?..." I've been there.... I get it...I still go there. I just want to say to you, whoever you are that you are worthwhile and YOU are enough. Try, as impossibly hard as it seems, to live in the present and challenge that depression. It is not a good friend. It seems comforting and safe but it's not.
3 Replies 3

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Check-in Chick

Hello and welcome to Beyond Blue. I see you have chosen freesias for your picture. They were my sister's favourite flower and they are lovely.

Thank you for your very positive post. Like you I was after the magic pill and it took quite q while to realise it was just not going to happen. Then of course I had to deal with the disappointment and frustration before finally settling down to the hard work. The Black Dog really has a lot to answer for.

Love your list of self put-downs. We can all relate to these and it's good that people know they are not alone in believing these thoughts. I think the most destructive part of depression is believing you are the only person thinking and feeling this way. Such a scary and lonely way of life.

I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I know how desperate you felt to attempt suicide as I too felt that way. When I look back I wonder why I thought it was the best path, but the reality is that we are in such pain that nothing else makes sense. That's when we need our family and friends to take care of us for a while and sadly too many people do not have good support.

Do you practice mindfulness? You speak about living in the present so I wondered. I also meditate every day to bring a calm settled feeling into my life. Mindfulness is also part of meditation.

Of course the trouble is, as you say, we still have bad days. I try to do something that takes my complete concentration otherwise I will fall apart. And of course this takes lots of energy so I find myself having a nap. Still, it gets me through the patch so that I can continue my journey.

Please continue posting and sharing your experiences. There are so many people at the start of their journeys who need encouragement. Every time someone explains how they cope is a victory for all of us.

Mary

Hi Mary, I am not totally new to this site, I used to post all the time (under a different username) when I was very unwell. I created this new one for a fresh start. I was planning to check in every day but I guess that didn't happen. Now I want to help other people to see that there is hope but that it's not easy. Without the right support it is even harder. Fortunately for me I have an excellent support team around me.

I know the flowers as Kaffir Lilies or Clivias. They are beautiful aren't they?

Dear Check-in Chick

Whoops I had the wrong flower.  They look very much like freesias in the picture, or at least to my non-gardener eyes. Would you believe I have clivias in my garden but I think they have too much shade. Not many blooms. But yes, they are lovely.

It's great that you feel well enough to be able to help others. The web site is expanding and many more people are registering to be able to post and even more are casual visitors. So there is a huge need 'out there' for people to be able to write about their experiences, both good and not so good, and for others to help and support them. Perhaps we will eventually break down the mental health barriers so others will understand what it is all about.

Great to have you on board.

Mary