FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm new here. My wifes an alcoholic

Shep_71
Community Member

I'm heartbroken. My beautiful wife who i love very much is an alcoholic.

I'm angry at myself because i never saw it coming. We used to socially drink together but she was always more keen than me.

This has come like a freight train. Thinking back, there was a change in her behaviour towards me. She appeared emotionally disconnected.

We've always been so close but lately she's been distant.

I noticed 3 evenings running she would come back from work drunk. I thought she was drinking at home but there were no bottles. I secretly took her office keys and and my world fell apart when i found a 4 tier filing cabinet full of empty wine bottles, cans, beer bottle and a stash of new bottles. I just sat in her office and cried.

I worked out she was finishing work at about 3.30 and drinking until about 430

The next day i deliberately paid her an impromptu visit at work during these times. She acted pleased to see me but was clearly rattled. She tried to hide the pint of wine on her desk by leaning to one side hoping i wouldn't see it. I don't know why i needed anymore validation.

Tonight she came back from the pub with a friend and she could barely walk. She tried to pick something off the floor and went headfirst into the wall.

She was angry with me when i tried to help. She went to bed but when i checked on her she had a bottle of wine next to her bed.

Anyway enough waffling from me, I'm just venting.

I don't know how to handle it. I have been in touch with alanon and have been advised to simply love and support.

I'm utterly broken. She's beautiful inside and out and a great mum to our 4 kids.

10 Replies 10

Shep_71
Community Member

Hi MK,

Her younger sister, mum and grandparents died within 18 months of each other. She said this was where it started but in fairness she's always been a drinker.

She actually came to me and said she had a problem but this was almost like opening the flood gates to excessive drinking.

She's started the day well, looks amazing and told me she's feeling positive. I told her that i was feeling sad because she drank yesterday but to be fair, she drank very little by her standard. Less than a bottle.

She's emptied her office of all alcohol (I've not physically checked)

She asked me to give her a chance and that's obviously what I'm going to so. She has a disease and I'd never turn my back on her.

Thanks for all the support.

One step at a time.

Shep.