FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Holidays

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

When in my twenties I made a very big mistake. For financial reasons (manic, bad money manager) I didn't have a holiday for 8 years. Them days you could leave one job one day and start another the next. So I cashed in my holiday pay and kept right on working. The result? some accumulative burn out. While that happened my friends would take their xmas period off work and relax.

Just as psychiatrists will tell you that sleep is essential, sound sleep, at least 8 hours for the mentally unwell, so to is holidays. The important things is to get away from the usual environment, away from your home where you, throughout the year dealt with your stresses, bills and arguments.

As I've had past struggles financially decades ago I'm conscious of the fact that not everyone can afford to go on holidays. For those people camping is the option

Google

Topic: cheap recovery idea, camping- beyondblue

For some caravanning is an answer. 2016 saw my wife and I and our mini Foxy tour the "lap" of Australia in our tiny 11 foot caravan. We built it ourselves and made sure it had a shower and toilet. Those additions took away the worry of where we can stop as well as walking in the dark to the loo, finding you are fully awake by the end of that trek.

There are pitfalls. For many of us like to be alone. Many retirees caravanning like to have a natter. Chatting helps with exchange of information. It can be annoying at times though. We found that to avoid this you just park further away. You become an expert at having those quick 2 minute chats so they don't become a 60 minute drain. We have our own destination preferences like small towns and support them by buying items there rather than the large cities. We stay away from - tourist destinations mainly due to cost and crowds and listen to others recommendations.

Keep an eye on the weather...cyclones are a hazard. Up north isn't fun in the heat.

Anyone starting out caravanning for the first time should do some homework as to the best rig to use for your needs. Join caravan online forums and learn all about it. Many people have to sell a van or tow car to upgrade/downgrade to become legal at great cost. Many vans spend 90% of their time in a garage. There are some bargains to buy.

You'll find many single people on the road. Many older people have survived the passing of their long time spouse. It's a way of getting away from the environment they had shared. Enjoy and relax. Take a holiday and care for yourself.

Tony WK

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Tony, good advice, for myself I'll be staying home, and yes there can be many pitfalls when you hit the roads, just please be careful, you and everyone else. Geoff.

Sad_Mushroom
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tony,

When I was growing up the Christmas holidays went for 6 weeks. Dad and I had an old van which was set up just for us and on the first weekend of holidays we would pack up the van and just drive. We always had a destination but always took different routes to get there. Wonderful!

Having the van was great. There was no rush to make it to a certain place by a certain time, for book-ins, meals etc as we could just stop wherever we wanted. We'd stop by small streams and have cuppa's, watch the world go by, then dad would have a nap while I did puzzles. Not a care in the world.

Back then there were heaps of roadside stalls and we'd live mainly off the fruits and vege's we'd buy. So fresh, only picked that morning and much cheaper than the shops. We'd fish every day and when lucky enough to catch something, that was dinner.

So relaxing and peaceful.

SM