FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping with bed rest and maintaining my mental health from covid complications

Butterfly7
Community Member

Hi,

I am looking for some ways to help manage or cope, or things to do to maintain my mental health when I am on bed rest after covid complication

I have had depression in past, but have been doing well in my recovery so far. But 7 weeks ago I caught covid, which led to multiple hospitals for a heart complication caused by covid infection. I’m triple jabbed and never thought I would get this sick, I take all precautions, so it’s been a grieving process. I’m on bed rest until my heart heals which I have been told is weeks too months, and am struggling with the frustration of not being able to do the things I need to do to stay well, and heartbroken not to be contributing to my family in the way I normally would.

I am really limited in the amount of movement I can do at the moment, and have to watch my heart rate and blood pressure, but any suggestions of things I can do to maintain my wellbeing would be really appreciated. Do you have any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear Butterfly7,

We would like to welcome you to our supportive and helpful community. It's good that you found the courage to post about your current struggles in our forums.

We understand that you caught Covid after having all the vaccines, and you are now dealing with significant complications. You also have had depression, and you are continuing to work with your recovery

We are pleased to know that you are under the care of professionals, and you are following their advice.

We are wondering if any of your recovery strategies might help with your current situation?

Whenever things become too difficult for you, please feel free to call the BeyondBlue Support Service at 1300 22 4636, or Lifeline at 13 1114. Both services are 24 hours per day, and are free
Our wonderful community is often good at coming up with helpful ideas, so please give them some time to see your post.

Thank you for joining us, and we are always here for you.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Butterfly7,

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with covid, especially when you took all the precautions you could. I struggled with a 7 day isolation so I can only imagination how difficult weeks/months of bed rest might be.

What are some things you usually do to maintain your wellbeing? Could they be adapted? For example, instead of meeting up with a friend, calling or facetiming?

I think keeping a routine could also be helpful, so the days don't all blend together, such as waking up and going to sleep at the same time. Wellness looks different for everyone but some activities I like to do include: watching comfort movies/tv shows, reading, painting, baking, journalling and meditation.

Hope this helps and that you're feeling well,

Beeee