FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

BPD - Struggles with cigarettes

mrkd1991
Community Member

Hi all, I haven't yet introduced myself, rather I jumped straight here. My name is Mark and I am 27 years old.

This is more directed at people who suffer from BPD, but everyone is more than welcome to give their thoughts and experiences also.

I've smoked cigarettes for about 10 years, and tried quitting more times than I can count, and many times I can't even remember right now. But every time I try, I either get scared of the 'change', feel like I'll be 'lost and alone' without them, or find that after however many minutes, hours or days until my mind switches to the next, I completely forget that I am quitting smoking. The thought just gets left behind. It could be literally months before I'm like "oh sh!t, I was quitting!".

How did/do you guys cope with these issues, or is this just me?

Any help is much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Nat1991
Community Member

Hi Mark,'

I am new too.. and I am also a smoker and can feel your pain when it comes to quitting.

I try to quit all the time... and fail every time.

I am trying a new technique now which is to only allow myself a certain amount of ciggarettes a day. Hoping it will help me slowly stop.

I suffer from severe generalised anxiety and health anxiety so smoking is really bad for my mental health as i have a lot of guilt after a smoke.. but if i dont smoke then i get anxious.

It is a never ending battle and for me also hard cause lots of people around me smoke.

I am hoping that by joining this forum i can talk to some people going through the same thing and not feel so alone!

Best of luck! Quitting smoking is never ever easy 😞

mrkd1991
Community Member

Hi Nat, yes unfortunately there's a lot of factors involved in quitting smoking, one of my worst things is habit smoking.

As far as coping with your anxiety, have you tried replacing a cigarette with something else to curve your anxiety, something that makes you feel good. If you can swap a smoke for something better, you'll come out the other side feeling better too.

If you start off replacing a smoke here and there, it hopefully won't be too overwhelming, and the healthier alternative should be a nice little boost against your health anxiety.

All the best with quitting.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi mrkd and Nat

Welcome to you both. It's great to have you both here.

I smoked for over 25 years, almost 3 packets a day (when they cost about $2.00 a pack). Dreadful. I stopped 28 years ago and haven't had another once since. Though, must admit in the 28 years I still dream that I smoke and have to ask my partner if I've had one or not!!

I went cold turkey. However, before that I spent a good year planning to give up. Sounds silly doesn't it. Though there are many things to consider when giving it up - the weight gain, what to do when you get anxious in social settings, the anger, the irritability, the cravings.

So what was my strategy:

I found a really good reason to want to give it up. My dad had emphysema and there was no way I wanted to end up like him. Unable to get about and do the things I love, going for walks especially in the rainforests. This was like a mantra I said to myself everyday for a year.

How was I going to keep off the weight? Joined a gym, started swimming and cycling again.

What about the cravings? Drank a glass (or part) of water everytime I wanted a smoke. Working in a non smoking environment helped.

What did I do about social situations and anxiety? That was the hardest part. To be honest, because it's easy for me to lock myself away, I did this for the first couple of months until I thought I had the cravings under control. Then I ventured out again. I tried gravitating towards friends who didn't smoke. This made things easier. Now that you can't smoke in a lot of venues makes it easier these days.

Saved up the money I didn't spend on smokes and rewarded myself at the end of 3 months!

Told those I worked with what I was doing and to ignore me if I was getting ratty. Recognise when I was getting ratty, say something like - it's the giving up smokes, walk away from situations. The anger and irritability lonely lasted for about 6 months. I was fine after that.

Changed my mind set. I was a non smoker! Not someone who gave up smoking.

One of the biggest things is not to beat yourself up when you lapse. It's okay. Find another reason for wanting to be a non smoker. It really is worth it. Much healthier (less likely to have a stroke or heart attack), more money, less smelly clothes and breathe. These days being a non smoker is much more socially acceptable than a smoker.

Hope some of this helps you both. Keep reaching out here if and when you want.

There are Tips for managing anxiety pinned at the top of the Anxiety forum.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mrkd

Just another thought for you about BPD and quitting. Have you had a look at the thread This Bipola Life ? You can find it my doing a keyword search using the search field at the top of our webpage. Feel free to join in the discussion if you think it is useful to you.

Bye.

PamelaR