FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Boredom, break free with action

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Most of us have gone through periods of boredom. I mean it is hard to break away from the routine of doing nothing, work, drive home, chores, more chores, TV, computer...still overall boredom. How do you break that lifestyle? Ok, on the odd occasion we don our runners and start a get fit campaign. We'll tell the world that we are going to lose weight and we walk/run a few kms a day...then it falls away, back to the sofa.

A few facts about all this struggle. As people with mental illness We need to acknowledge that we have a harder time sticking to a routine. If you accept that, then you wont feel such a failure at trying to turn things around. Routine doesnt sit with us very well and takes far more motivation than those without a MI.

Obesity often is, a real challenge. Again we can accept that we humans are all built differently, different DNA. Again acceptance has its place- we should accept that we will never be a model figure so stop trying. We can also accept that good effort is enough that it should make us content within ourselves. If obese, we should also approach the topic of abuse from other people. This is covered in the inspiring thread by our champion Quirkywords see below-

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/does-putting-on-weight-affect-your-mental-health#dSng0fdQq0GYEMviqmf3Jg

Back to boredom. Often when a problem arises we can tackle it in a conventional manner first. Eg. Stamp out the boredom with filling your life with activities. This can include conventional methods like- hobbies, sports, passions, clubs, self regulated social media, games on the computer. Hobbies and sports are the answer for most people, even barracking for a team on the TV and attending matches. Hobbies can include both indoor and outdoors. But I have learned that people either have a passion or dont, eg a passion comes naturally. A past partner of mind had no passion yet I had model airplanes which I built indoors in comfort and flew them outdoors among club members. I also read magazines on them and painted them myself etc. It took up a lot of my time. She ha dno hobby resulting in a huge problem and frankly I had no answers but what I've mentioned here already. It also proved to me that other people cannot find the solution to this issue except suggest they pursue some conventional time filling methods.

Whatever you find that breaks the boredom cycle action of any sort will be more productive than no action at all.

TonyWK

10 Replies 10

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
LOL! That’s great Tony. I know you like writing poems but now I know why - you’re good at it. I very much enjoyed it. T.