FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Boredom, break free with action

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Most of us have gone through periods of boredom. I mean it is hard to break away from the routine of doing nothing, work, drive home, chores, more chores, TV, computer...still overall boredom. How do you break that lifestyle? Ok, on the odd occasion we don our runners and start a get fit campaign. We'll tell the world that we are going to lose weight and we walk/run a few kms a day...then it falls away, back to the sofa.

A few facts about all this struggle. As people with mental illness We need to acknowledge that we have a harder time sticking to a routine. If you accept that, then you wont feel such a failure at trying to turn things around. Routine doesnt sit with us very well and takes far more motivation than those without a MI.

Obesity often is, a real challenge. Again we can accept that we humans are all built differently, different DNA. Again acceptance has its place- we should accept that we will never be a model figure so stop trying. We can also accept that good effort is enough that it should make us content within ourselves. If obese, we should also approach the topic of abuse from other people. This is covered in the inspiring thread by our champion Quirkywords see below-

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/does-putting-on-weight-affect-your-mental-health#dSng0fdQq0GYEMviqmf3Jg

Back to boredom. Often when a problem arises we can tackle it in a conventional manner first. Eg. Stamp out the boredom with filling your life with activities. This can include conventional methods like- hobbies, sports, passions, clubs, self regulated social media, games on the computer. Hobbies and sports are the answer for most people, even barracking for a team on the TV and attending matches. Hobbies can include both indoor and outdoors. But I have learned that people either have a passion or dont, eg a passion comes naturally. A past partner of mind had no passion yet I had model airplanes which I built indoors in comfort and flew them outdoors among club members. I also read magazines on them and painted them myself etc. It took up a lot of my time. She ha dno hobby resulting in a huge problem and frankly I had no answers but what I've mentioned here already. It also proved to me that other people cannot find the solution to this issue except suggest they pursue some conventional time filling methods.

Whatever you find that breaks the boredom cycle action of any sort will be more productive than no action at all.

TonyWK

10 Replies 10

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gidday TonyWK - great post, wish I'd written it myself!

I agree totally with your recommendations on combating boredom. Like you, I seek out activities and interests so that most days have something on. This really gives me a sense of purpose and self belief. My latest is model radio controlled sailing which is very competitive, requires lots of skill and is great fun.

If I may, I'd like to add one thought to your post - that is that the activity is much more fun and therefore likely to last longer, if you are doing it with a bunch of people who make you laugh! For example, one of the radio controlled yacht classes is a bit expensive and the skippers are pretty serious. The class I have settled on is cheaper and we have heaps of fun every race day. This means I look forward to the races and want to get better at it!

To sit at home and play my guitar or build a model car, both of which I am currently doing, are still enjoyable but the one I look forward to is the fun and games with the other skippers.

Has to be a message there somewhere!

Thanks again - here's to keeping busy and laughing a lot!

Regards, The Bro

Hi the bro

That hobby sounds really interesting. I presume you can build you own yachts? Looks like you've found a good group. I assume one needs to be able to swim?

I haven't had many good experiences with groups of people. There is usually a hierarchy and sometimes a committee. That means class distinction that follow with arrogance but, I acknowledge however that such sensitivity is a burden some of which is due to my own issues.

I mention this example because many members here have similar difficulties with the social aspect of their chosen hobby. Let's hope that doesn't sway them away from seeking an interest.

So my wife and I have been planning our racing car set. It was, unusually so, have an integrated train track so cars have to wait at crossings. I remember uncle fester of the Adams Family destroying bridges and trains crashing lol. I'm inventive and often think outside the box. Ha!.

Anyone have similar hobbies?

TonyWK

Hi TonyWK and thanks for replying!

The yachts I sail are Laser replica models a metre long. Makes the racing closer and more fun if all the boats are the same class. I must say though that building a boat of my own would have some appeal!

Your comments about class and Club hierarchy are spot on. So many sports or hobby clubs have political issues with management - that's why I stay away from the committee when invited, and just focus on the part I enjoy.

Hey the car set sounds like heaps of fun - make them crash proof to cater for the level crossing!

Keep on creating !

The Bro

Hi the bro

Didnt know your boats were that big. Sounds a great activity.

Having flown model aircraft previously I've watched and born the brunt of the odd "safety officer". Fast moving propellers and flying aircraft weighing 5 kgs can be a dangerous situation so safety is a concern. But time and time again I've listened to these safety people and they cant help themselves let the role go to their head in as much as acting with authority in voice volume for example. Supervision is a fine art.

I asked an old police officer once how he tolerated issuing fines to people when they were angry. He told me that if you issue a fine and they complain about receiving it to the head office, if they say really nice words to the sergeant about you demeanour then you've succeeded in your job.

Anyway thats the negative of some groups but overall the hobby direction is great for mental health and sounds like we both endorse entering into one to keep our mind active.

TonyWK

Engaging in suitable activity is useful as a preventative measure. A family member was going through an extremely difficult stressful situation. He had no power to change the situation but took up model aeroplanes to take his mind off the situation. He'd had little experience so sought a group where he was able to meet with others and learn from them. This enabled him to learn enough to confidently fly his plane on his own. The situation continued but having the model planes gave him the break to forget his problems for short periods so he could cope better than he would otherwise.

The other important point is to chose an activity that suits you. I'm more comfortable with one or 2 people rather than large groups. Recently I have been bushwalking with someone. We are limited with where we go due to lockdown but still find places nearby to walk. Walking with someone else gives me the break I need from my caring role. Having someone to talk to takes my mind off things. It is also something I enjoy. Other people would hate bushwalking but prefer doing something more crafty which I would hate.

If you don't know what activity suits then try things to see what works for you.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Tony and everyone...🤗..

I used to wake up of a morning..(well, I still do, thankfully)..and while having my morning cuppa tea sitting in the lounge room..I would be telling myself I must make the bed, vacuum, wash dishes etc...I thought about it so long, doing it all in my head..that I didn’t want to do it physically as mentally I already did....Same went for my diamond paintings that I’ve recently discovered....

A while back on another thread a wise person (Tony) said...don’t think about doing it...just do it...This is what I now do...I just go ahead and do things before I start procrastinating about them....and it does work...

My favourite of all things to do..is sitting outside on my front veranda and just watching and listening to the world around me..but doing that for a long time without things to do...can be a downer as well because my mind still wanders a lot....Now I sit outside only after I have cleaned up the house (like a little reward for myself)....and I take something with me to keep my mind busy...My iPad to chat on here if I’m feeling up to it, My diamond painting, sometimes my colouring in...or paper and pencil to draw....Its like mixing one pleasure with another pleasure..and it feels good to be doing something...while outside...

I am trying to get a bigger interest in gardening...I’m slowly developing that...yay me...

Hobbies don’t need to be expensive...just something that keeps you mind busy and we like doing...

Great thread Tony...Thank you for starting it up...

My kindest thoughts everyone..

Grandy..

Hi Elizabeth and Grandy

Both your valuable comments focus on the benefits of diversion, to take our minds away from the chores or the workload of caring for someone else. This is a huge topic. Bush walking (or local walking with restrictions of Covid) along with talking to someone engages physical activity with all senses in the moment of that walk. Sight, smell, touch, hearing, vocal etc in a totally new environment. For those with high commitment at home then a walk around the block can work wonders. Amazing how you chat to a neighbour or meet someone with a dog and start talking. It works. I had a ritual near my last place we lived to drive up a nearby mountain, walk 150 metres to a beaut view then play a youtube clip Maharaji Prem Rawat sunset. Exhilarating.

Grandy my wife does diamond painting, crochet, paint by numbers, make curtains etc. Yet, she doesnt call them a passion. Thankyou for the mention about "just get up and do it". The best example of that non procrastinating concept is in the thread below-

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/switching-mindsets

I'm the cook at home. I love it. But am also conscious of the cleaning up. Recently I purchased a air fryer. I noticed that cooking vegies and meat can all be done in one. It has saved heaps of dishes, cooks quicker so saves time and food is crisper and more healthy. So with many things around the home I'm always looking at making life easier. I recently erected clear plastic roofs over our 2 clothes lines. Means clothes drying dotn get wet here in a wet weather area. Saves work and time.

ack to diversion. I once had a simple jigsaw puzzle in a spare room. Whenever I dwelled on a topic I'd spend as little as 5-8 minutes plus on finding a few pieces to lay. Diversion is a major tool for those seeking mental well being.

Thankyou ladies.

TonyWK

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tony and everyone who has posted or read ,

wow what a variety of thoughts .

Tony I have not been bored before as my mum would not let us say we were bored or she would give us more chores.

I suppose I have bee a loner so I like my company and always find something to do.
I like words so I can always think of making up more words or making words out of. If words.

ARGG boredom. Words top describe boredom Quirky. I was bored-

NIGHT SHIFT

I'm just a bored security guard
in the depths of the darkest night
I scratch my left side botty
with my left hand then my right

And when the hours take long to pass
I sit and draw with flair
rearrange my mixed up thoughts
and consider life unfair

I'm just a mad security guard
in the depths of the darkest night