Staying well

Support each other to stay well, from mindfulness, sleep, diet and exercise to reducing drug and alcohol use and coping with difficult emotions.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Just Sara A Bouquet for Pearls - share your appreciation for other members
  • replies: 715

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful word... View more

Every now and then, members share a beautiful Pearl of Wisdom. How often do you think to yourself; "OMG that's great! I wish everyone could see this." Presenting someone with a bunch of flowers is a generous way of acknowledging their insightful words. I hope this thread stays active through members giving out praise regularly to people they feel deserving, and therefore keep generosity of spirit alive within the pages of BeyondBlue Forum. My bunch of Red Roses (my choice) goes to Wishful for the following sentence; 'Personally, I see no reason to be praised in me, but I'm learning that seeing through the eyes of others can be more accurate!!' I so hear you Wishful. Just beautiful... Try to keep your leading comments short to focus on 'their' words. Choose specific flowers (or a gift if you like) to present to them. Sign off respectfully and sincerely. I hope this takes off... Spreading the love...Sara

All discussions

white knight Sensitive beyond reasonable
  • replies: 15

It’s been 7 years now since I was correctly diagnosed with bipolar 2, depression, dysthymia and dwindling anxiety. For 7 years prior to that I’d taken medication for an incorrect diagnosis of bipolar 1 and ADHD. The two ongoing symptoms that remain t... View more

It’s been 7 years now since I was correctly diagnosed with bipolar 2, depression, dysthymia and dwindling anxiety. For 7 years prior to that I’d taken medication for an incorrect diagnosis of bipolar 1 and ADHD. The two ongoing symptoms that remain the most and affect me daily are- ultra sensitivity and temperamental mood. Look at me sideways at the wrong moment and the day is ruined. The thing that keeps me so positive is that all the other symptoms are being managed well, the cycle of upset emotions, paranoia, anger, manic mind of doing everything fast and unacceptable behaviour usually seen with over reaction to others. I can recall years ago if driving on a highway at the speed limit, someone passing me comfortably like 20-30 kph more would result in my flashing my lights, waving out the window etc and pity them if they stopped at a traffic light up the road!!! It took me many years to move on from my first wife’s behaviour, the pre judgemental behaviour of my friends and family. Yeh, I’ve changed and settled well but I still live on a tightrope. My anxiety was the worst in 1987 but it was present since my young age. I got treatment and have to say that there is no clear sign of anxiety now apart from adrenalin and excitement- normal levels. Being temperamental cant be easy to live with. My wife puts up with a lot but our marriage is strong. I hate myself when I upset her and want to be someone else. I'm not entirely happy within my own skin. I don't like how I react and talk without thinking. I feel that sensitivity is inground, an automatic response mechanism that is not possible to eradicate. The feeling of immediate upset when someone says the wrong thing (in my eyes) is like a chemical reaction, a tingle in my brain that almost results in immediately crying. I refrain from crying though but did all the time when young. I’m wondering if any of you feel the same or you feel your partner is similar and what you do to limit your sensitivity and moods? Tony WK

Guest_1055 Eating Well - Those Fruit and Vegetables
  • replies: 19

​​Hello I have chosen to start up this thread in hope it will help those who need or want to eat better. Personally I have issues with comfort eating, that is you turn to a certain food, because you think it will help you feel better. This food may b... View more

​​Hello I have chosen to start up this thread in hope it will help those who need or want to eat better. Personally I have issues with comfort eating, that is you turn to a certain food, because you think it will help you feel better. This food may be ice cream, biscuits, fatty take aways, sugary drinks, potato chips etc and my big one.........chocolate. If you take a real deep look, these foods actually don't help us feel better at all. I have tried removing some of these food items from my diet. But have found I can do it for a few days, then fall back into the old habits. When you are feeling depressed and unmotivated, it is a challenge to eat the foods that you know will benefit your body and mind. Because sometimes you just don't care enough about yourself. Well that is my personal experience. And if you are the one that prepares food in your household that is more of a challenge. Again that is my experience. And for those who go through episodes of anxiety, you may have no or little appetite at all. So anyway what I have been thinking about is taking baby steps to better health. One of those steps is to : Eat more vegetables and fruit So I guess this thread is for anyone really. A place to share hints, advice and encouragement regarding the consumption of vegetables and fruits. One could use this thread like a food diary to report the vegetables that they have eaten that day. Thus helping each other be accountable. Helpful books, websites, vegetable gardening tips. And even recipe ideas. But I am thinking only one step at a time. So only focus on the vegetables and fruits for now. And see how that goes. I have looked at the whole "eating healthy" big picture, and to be honest , I felt overwhelmed by it. So I figured as long as we are moving in the right direction towards better health for our body, emotions and mental health..........well that has to be good. Here we go then! Much love to all Shelley

Nicoc Routine
  • replies: 2

I guess I honed the skill of developing and maintaining a good routine whilst raising nine children, but these days I still draw upon the benefits that organisation of time and activity has to offer. The great thing about it too, is that it can be br... View more

I guess I honed the skill of developing and maintaining a good routine whilst raising nine children, but these days I still draw upon the benefits that organisation of time and activity has to offer. The great thing about it too, is that it can be broken down into time increments that make fitting everything in, look less daunting. It also helps to manage my mental illness and helps me to be as productive as possible. First thing in the morning I like to lay a mental foundation that divides everything in two by looking at what has to be done, and what I want to do. On any given day the odds can change. When I'm severely depressed, getting out of bed, getting showered and dressed, taking my medication and trying to go for a walk are top priority. When I'm manic things like meditation and slowing down enough to eat a healthy meal are my main goals. I've found over the years though that it's often hard for people to keep up with how my individual routine 'looks' and I've had to deal with comments that are derogatory and condescending. Sometimes people don't like to hear the words "no sorry I can't" because they can misunderstand why I am declining an offer or invitation, but in the end I have to take responsibility for my mental health and wellbeing. These days I try to gently explain, that like with any illness, maintaining my boundaries is paramount. How I end the day is also important and I have learnt through trial and error the great benefits of a set bedtime. For me the simple steps that break down the day means that I can limit stress, and in turn limit the consequences that can be a bi-product of my disorder. Not having little ones that demand my time and energy certainly make life a little easier, but now I've found that the onset of menopause and all it's accompanying challenges, make me draw upon a routine as much as ever.

swannees Exercise
  • replies: 6

Certainly has helped me even if on not so good days just putting one foot in front of the other helps. On better days I do much more exercise.

Certainly has helped me even if on not so good days just putting one foot in front of the other helps. On better days I do much more exercise.

Snoopy33 GAPS Diet
  • replies: 1

Just wondering if anyone has been on the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet and had success with it or know of someone who has?

Just wondering if anyone has been on the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet and had success with it or know of someone who has?

Roberty_Bob One year sober today
  • replies: 20

Probably the single most important action I've taken to manage my depression.

Probably the single most important action I've taken to manage my depression.

Ed209 A very big thank you
  • replies: 3

I've been going through the depression issues that many of you have faced and although it's still lurking there, it seems to be in control. A large part of managing the issues has been the benefit from the community of support through the forums. The... View more

I've been going through the depression issues that many of you have faced and although it's still lurking there, it seems to be in control. A large part of managing the issues has been the benefit from the community of support through the forums. The forums have been a very real lifeline. I recognised the syptoms early, as I had previously made contact with Beyondblue. While I was incapacitaed with depression, I still knew what to do to get out, and that gave me the tools to start helping myself. I went to a GP, openly discussed the situation, got medication. The medication gave me the breathing space to start to put my life back together. Read the Beyondblue forums every day. Started meditation Started regular exercise (Just walking on the beach. I had to initailly force myself to do this, and then it became enjoyable) Started eating again but this time eating only healthy food Restarted my interests, joined meetup groups going things I liked so I had something to look forward to each week. Tapered off the medication (in discussion with my GP) More exercise, joined Health Fund Exercicse group Reconnected with friends Read the Beyondblue forums every day. Most of these I learned from the forums A very big thank you to all those that post in the forums, the advice and insights have been a lifeline.

The_Journeyman What Works for me!
  • replies: 13

I stay well by: 1 I changed my relationship to the society I AM forced to live in. It is Corrupt, competitive, cruel and greed based and not at all how we should live together in cooperation harmony and mutual respect. I realised that this "slavery" ... View more

I stay well by: 1 I changed my relationship to the society I AM forced to live in. It is Corrupt, competitive, cruel and greed based and not at all how we should live together in cooperation harmony and mutual respect. I realised that this "slavery" was the cause of my soul pain or depression if you like. 2 By the use of "I" statements and owning everything I say and not hiding behind "WE" or "YOU" statements. 3 By deprogramming my self from codependent behaviour. 4 By taking total responsibility for everything that happens in my life. I AM Master and Commander of my life. 5 By trusting my In-Tuition. 6 By following my heart 7 By going barefoot and getting as close to nature as I can 8 'Anything that is not nurturing for me i call the "Beast". I no longer feed the beast! 9 By KNOWING that there is No-Thing wrong with me! Hope this resonates. Love Bob

BP1 World Bipolar Day
  • replies: 1

We may think it's nothing to celebrate, but I always see it as an acknowledgement of what we go through daily, how important our carers are, and our survival.

We may think it's nothing to celebrate, but I always see it as an acknowledgement of what we go through daily, how important our carers are, and our survival.

Ashmad It will not beat me 😉
  • replies: 2

It doesn't matter who you are what you have it will find you. I will infest you to core of your being. It is unrelenting and will not let go. It is with you for life!!!! There is one difference. Do you let it control you ? It is up to the person that... View more

It doesn't matter who you are what you have it will find you. I will infest you to core of your being. It is unrelenting and will not let go. It is with you for life!!!! There is one difference. Do you let it control you ? It is up to the person that you are to decide where it stays and I choose for it to be at the back of my brain. Not to come forth, but stay there where I can control you and you cannot, control me. This is my journey so far and by God it has taken a long time and many countless hours of counselling and soul searching to get here. This has been my journey for the last eight years. I will have the last word not the black dog!!!!! There is a end to a dark tunnel and it is light,happiness and inner strength