FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Are we only valued if we are paid for our work.?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have always been fortunate to have paid work .

I had my own shop for 14 years until at star if last year the bushfires ended that.

Suddenly I was forcibly retired .
I valued myself by my work and others did. So I felt lost until I did volunteer work.

Even at my work I feel I am not as valued Jed as paid people.

How do others feel if you don’t have paid work . Do you feel others don’t value your voluntary work or see your work as unimportant.

All comments welcome .

10 Replies 10

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Quirky

I understand your thoughts as I volunteer my lived MH experience off the forums in the community and the motivation/appreciation of volunteers is crucial to acknowledge the support the support they can provide

This is also essential where volunteer retention is concerned

I hope you have had a happy Easter Quirky...and for the heartfelt care you provide to so many

my kind thoughts

Paul

Boudica
Community Member
I agree with you quirkywords, for most of my adult life, my paid employment was as a bookkeeper in an accounting firm that worked with wealthy individuals private superannuation funds. I am grateful that it supported me and my children financially, but I never quite felt it was a role that fitted with my values and I recently decided to leave to pursue a new career in an area I am more passionate about (enviro. science). I started with uni (I am doing honours now), but I am also volunteering on the side when I can. I volunteer (for an environmental monitoring agency) as I care for the cause. But in the past I have volunteered as a literacy tutor for refugees, I have written hiking pamphlets for conservation parks, I have revegetated degraded land and I have helped with political campaigns for environmental causes. Even though the environmental cause is close to my heart, I think the most rewarding was tutoring the group of Afghani refugees many years ago. They were really happy that I was giving my time to them, and I think that I learned so much from them, it really was a great experience. I have at times found volunteering really demotivating though for 2 reasons: 1. There are some people who do not value your time when you are a volunteer, I think they believe you do it it as a fake job for those that aren't good enough for paid jobs. 2. I think it can also be hard to find a place that uses your skills adequately. Most organisations that want volunteers are worthy causes, but they are short on funds, hence they have one over-wrought volunteer coordinator, and a sea of volunteers helping, and it can be really hard for the poor coordinator to train, supervise and use people to their potential . Hence I prefer to choose smaller agencies that have a gap where something needs doing that I know my particular skill set is suited to and I approach them and offer them my time. I am the only volunteer where I go at the moment, and the paid staff are all lovely and grateful for the extra set of hands.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quirky~

I've been a volunteer, though it has been called honorary positions, for a great many years as a university educator and later as someone in technical research. I've been more than fortunate in that these positions have been identical to colleagues doing the same work alongside me, and my status, responsibilities and duties have been the same.

That is by no means typical. I, and Mrs C, have been in other organizations where volunteers were met with distrust, given the most menial of jobs and basically seen as far less capable or reliable than paid staff. Needless to say we left those places as soon as that attitude became apparent (in the process probably reinforcing their belief they could not rely upon volunteers 🙂

The Australian Institute for Health and Welfare (a federal government organisation) says:

3 in 10 people are volunteers
In 2014, 31% of the Australian population aged 15 and over participated in voluntary work. Over a 12-month period, volunteers contributed an estimated 743 million hours to the community. In 2012–13, the estimated value of voluntary work in not-for-profit organisations was $17 billion (ABS 2015).

Nevertheless there is some important institutional inequality. I believe Fairwork Australia, who handle workers' problems, do not, except for bullying, include volunteers as part of their responsibilities. Taxation also does not allow even the most justifiable expenses incurred as deductions from other earnings.

Professional development is also by and large not subsidized.

I think in the end it boils down to the organisation and its environment, and to the people in it (who do change over time affecting the prevailing culture).

What is perhaps more important is one's own regard for what one does. It may sound big-headed, but I value my services and regard them as professional and as competent as any salaried employee plus I only work in area I believe help society. This has the practical result of not leaving one stuck in a position where the organization does not share these beliefs but motivates one to seek occupation elsewhere.

Croix

Thanks

Paul thanks for your post.

Motivation is necessary to maintain volunteers and our society needs to value them.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Boudica

Thanks for your understanding post. I think being the only volunteer cou,d be advantageous as it us for you but it could mean some is not appreciated.

I think having ones skills valued as they are here on BB is supportive but I have come from being my own boss to not having my skills valued in a retail business. I am appreciated

but I think paid workers are valued more.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Croix

Thanks for your very helpful,post.

I do regard my skills but if one volunteers when ones skills and experience are not used and recognised it can be hard.

Also most people plan to retire yet I had forced on me so I didn’t not have a plan b.

I had planned to retire for maybe another 15 to 20 years

I find now I don’t have my shop people’s eyes glaze over when I talk about volunteering.
If I say I am working people correct me and say I am only volunteering.

I am ok I just find it interesting how some in our society value people by how much we pay them .

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quirky~

You said "if one volunteers when ones skills and experience are not used and recognized it can be hard.". Of course it can, to be devalued under any circumstances is something that eats away at one's own self esteem.

While I'm glad you say you are OK, I don't get the impression you have found your new niche as yet, where you are held in the high esteem you deserve (I'm not talking about here, but elsewhere).

Not all volunteers are regarded poorly, firefighters being just one example, doctors and nurses in Médecins Sans Frontières is another, I could go on.

You have a wide range of experience, both personal and though your readings. I have every faith you will end up finding retirement status becomes less important as you find earnest enjoyable endeavor.

Croix.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Croix,

You have made a lot of sense and given me lost to think @bout.

At the moment my volunteer work keeps me busy and stops me ruminating.

Does anyone feel valued as a volunteer.?

Payment comes in many forms, and some might feel that volunteering is more rewarding than any financial incentive (not that this would convince angry creditors!).
One restores the goodwill of humanity, where the other is quickly diminished through bills and discretionary spending. The former builds compassion and self understanding, the latter deceives the virtues of work.
Volunteering revolves around what you give, not receive, but it does take a rethink of priorities to find value in what you offer with 'payment' rendered simply with a grateful smile or kind word.