FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone failed a drug test because of antidepressants

Chemical_Inbalance
Community Member
I am looking for new work and in the industries I have worked in a pre-employment medical and drug testing is very common.

I got a bit of a history with depression and take medication as prescribed, no illicit substance issues. I applied for a job and answered the very invasive medical questionnaire the employer had made honestly. They were initially very keen on me, even trying to get me into a team lead role. l but now have gone quiet after the medical.

I of course can't prove anything and not care to to be honest... But what's my best action going forward. Taper off the meds and lie during future medicals? Has anyone not declared you are on an antidepressant and had it picked up on and questioned during a medical? I figure it's a risk but can't find an instance of this happening.

Just looking to try and have a happy life like everyone else, find some decent work and not have depression make everything else about life worse than it needs to be.
3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Chemical Inbalance, job questionnaires applying for a job can be tricky and want to know whether you are taking any antidepressants (AD) so that any type of mental illness won't affect your work, however, you might be taking them just to control your emotions and have overcome these problems, so I don't think they should know, others may disagree, but if you feel you are right for the job, then say 'no'.

What to say you're working for the company and suddenly need to take AD's, do your employer's need to be told, no, so perhaps they are taking the honesty of people who may be smoking something other than smokes.

If you are capable of doing the job, then go for it, if they want to know about whether or not you're taking something heavier, then they can take a blood test.

If need be get a letter from your doctor explaining why an AD has been suggested and it may be for a minor reason or else by-pass it on the form.

Geoff.

Succulent Queen
Community Member
My first long and detailed reply hasnt shown up so just quickly, AD's dont show up in D&A urine tests. Ive done these pre-employment checks before and can say this for certain. My GP told me prior that it couldnt happen too. Theyre looking for illicit substances only. I also would never declare anxiety or depression as it will cost you the job as youve already discovered. It is difficult enough to find and maintain work in the face of having mental health issues so please dont limit yourself by declaring or worryong about meds that will not show up. Ask a GP if it will help you to feel more certain

Hello Chemical Inbalance, I agree with Succulent Queen, they are only looking for looking for illicit substances as this may affect their concentration on their work but also their performance, and even when you stop smoking weed it stays in your symptom for a long time and even though you try and convince the future employer that you've given up, the blood test doesn't show it.

Geoff.