FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Autism - Aspergers and Gay

Guest_4810
Community Member

Hi all,

I am starting this tread for Autistic people of all ages, male and female who are gay.

Feel free to share you experiences here.

This is a safe place.

7 Replies 7

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

How beautiful some are to give for the sake of giving..

Thankyou bob.. you've filled a gap.

Sez

Hi Sara, I am pleased to hear your beautiful and uplifting comment. Thank you.

You're so welcome my friend;

FYI; we have the 'Transcendental Rainbow Cafe' in the Social Zone if you want to drop by for a chat and introduce yourself. It's an LGBTI thread for members to chill or talk about relevant issues.

Hope to see you there..

Sez

Midday
Community Member
After a difficult life I had a disaster in my work life that had changed as things do. A deep depression pushed me to seek help and I have had a diagnosis of Asperger's or ASD as it is now. Slowly, I had felt something was not all there a longtime ago. I never related to my family or colleagues in a way that met their emotional needs; I miss social cues, and have the intuition of an earthworm. No longer young and pretty, life is dismal especially as I have lost my identity attachment I had with my work. Being gay and old holds no joy and I face homophobia everyday. I am receiving psychological care; however, I also have PTSD from a life lived with too many injuries. I hope to have some conversations here as I have great difficulty meeting new people.

marcus_c
Community Member
Hi Midday, congrats on your first post. I'm sorry to read you're feeling no joy in growing older. It must be tough to lose a big part of your identity with your work disaster. Looking forward to hearing more from you, maybe we can talk some more about how you can rebuild in this new phase of life. I think it can often be hard as a gay person to find 'your people', being understood is so important.

Midday
Community Member

Thanks Marcus,

I am trying, but I am struggling. ASD may have some benefits: direct speech, hardworking needs, perhaps intellectual achievement; however, I have been left friendless, people use me, and I get bullied easily. I find it really hard to talk to strangers in intimate ways, although I can use the web. I never see the stab in the back coming and I find people so malicious. As well, my health is poor as I note from reading about AS that people often have challenged immune systems as part of the condition. Presently, I am on chemo that affects my skin so much that I find everything uncomfortable. It's not nice. I am trying new things to engage me and that's where I get stuck. Any ideas about motivation? Mindfulness is important I know; it's just that I feel time has run out and there is no place for me now. I just don't get what life is supposed to be without work. Your ideas would be welcome. How do I see your thread discussion, please.

marcus_c
Community Member
Hi Midday, this post might sound a bit weird and vague, so I hope you'll stick with it. Right now you're feeling really lost, and understandably so. But I want to pick up on 'there is no place for me now'. Think about that word 'place'. What is it? The dictionary says place means 'a particular position, point, or area in space, a location'. Where are you sitting when you read this post, and write your next one? Aren't you technically in a 'place'?

Now that might seem like I'm nitpicking, but stay with me: what I'm trying to say is, you do have a place. It may not be a place that you like right now, or a place that you feel has meaning for you. But you are still here, and have a place in the world. You always will.

The next step is to find that meaning. Now that's a big job, but look how far you've come through life already with all your challenges and heartbreaks. There's an old Winston Churchill saying, 'when you're going through hell, keep going'.

For motivation, I've found that starting small really helps, especially if everything seems overwhelming. Some days your goal might just be to get out of bed and take a shower. But set those little goals and push yourself a little further each day.

When you're ready to think a bit bigger, maybe reflect on what work meant for you. How did it make you feel? What was it about your work that gave you joy? Once you've thought about that, you can then start thinking about ways you can get that feeling in other ways. What do you think?

(PS. I don't have a thread of my own on here, I just visit this section and reply to other threads and join in 🙂 )