FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's the best way to end this "friendship"?

Earth Girl
Community Member

I met this girl in CIT a long time ago and we became friends. For about the first year, I enjoyed the friendship, but after a while, it sort of went down hill. She's actually really nice, but she gets offended extremely easily (over things that aren't even offensive sometimes), she repeats a lot of the things she says several times and I can't be myself around her at all. I just turn into a completely different person and I just found that I didn't enjoy the friendship any more, but I continued being friends with her for 3 more years because I didn't want to hurt her. One day in the third year I realised that I really couldn't take it any more because she was talking about two of her other friends and she kept repeating everything (about how she wasn't going to talk to them any more - which she had said a lot of times before and then started hanging out with them a week later) and some of the things they did weren't even wrong.

A few days afterwards, she called me and asked if she had done something wrong and I said that she hadn't and that I just couldn't be myself around her and she asked if I still wanted to be friends (I had been distancing myself for a while) and I said that she's really lovely, but I didn't think it was working out. She texted me a few days later asking if we were still friends and I tried to tell her nicely that it wasn't working out because I can't be myself and I said "sorry I don't want to hurt you."

I sometimes see her at the shops and she always tells me that she misses catching up with me and asks me if I want to friends again and I have to keep explaining to her that I think she is a really nice person, but I can't be myself around her. I don't know what else to say because she thinks we should still be friends.

I feel really bad because she hasn't hurt me or anything, but the friendship really wasn't working out - I found it exhausting and it felt more like people awkwardly talking to each other superficially instead of a friendship. My sister said it would be okay to tell her that I just wasn't enjoying the friendship, but I don't want to hurt her feelings. I feel like no matter what, her feelings are going to get hurt though and I don't want that to happen yet again.

I also don't know what to tell her when says things such as "Does your Mum know we aren't friends any more?" "I want to be friends again, but I know you don't want to catch up", "We should be friends again." "Come say hi when you see me working in my store."

14 Replies 14

Thanks so much sbella!

I agree, if I just ignore them they will see that what they say isn't affecting me and they'll get bored. They really aren't worth my time if they are getting this furious at me for just growing out of a friendship with them anyway.

I saw A in the bathroom at a shopping center several years ago and she was talking to me in a nasty tone while using polite words but I remained polite to her (both with words and tone) because I didn't see the point in being nasty even if that is what she was doing.

I'm glad I have these people out of my life even if they are trying to hurt me now. In the future, even if I'm scared to end a friendship with someone because I know they will be mean to me if I do, I'll just end the friendship anyway and then not worry about what they have to say about it because I know I didn't do anything wrong in no longer wanting to be friends with them and I know that what they say about me isn't true.

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

What a great mindset to have!

I would argue that in this case, the loneliness that may come from losing this friendship far outweighs the pain of keeping them around. It's better to stay in your own company than be around people who make you feel like you're losing who you are.

I'm glad to hear that they're out of your life. There's strength in removing yourself from toxic situations, and although the reward may be delayed and the pain is initially intense, it does get better. 

SB

Thank you!

I don't feel like I've lost anything from ending this friendship because it wasn't really going anywhere, but I did feel bad ending it because I knew she wanted to stay friends. She's not who I thought she was though so I don't feel bad about it anymore. She's not nice.

And yes, sometimes it's better to be alone. 🙂

Also, this is a bit off topic, but I was wondering how you came up with your username? Is it part of your name? (If you don't mind me asking).

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Good on you, it takes a great deal to acknowledge that you've made the right decision when it comes to removing yourself from toxic situations.

SBella02 combines my first name and middle name, yes. My first name starts with S, and my middle name is Isabella. 02 just came from one of my old school usernames I think!

Thanks. 🙂

Oh, that's cool. 🙂