FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

relationship breakup with bipolar girlfriend

confused68
Community Member
Hi guys.im new to this and am hoping to get some encouraging advice from those who have been through something similar.my girlfriend who has bipolar started dating april last year.All was going great and she told me about her condition straight up.Before long i met her kids 2 teenagers and her 5 year old twin girls and also her mum,dad,brother and one sister.Everything was going great,we were even going to get engaged.Things were getting serious,maybe a little too quickly.Anyway one night we arranged to meet at the pub but i decided to show up at her place and surprise her with a lift but she got really angry at me.i calmed her down and met her later at the pub but she up and left without me knowing(panic attack maybe)From this night on i noticed her moods had changed and she didnt seem to want to spend time together and she seemed to even have this aggression in her eyes.so 2 weeks later i drank with a mate and fell asleep.aAs i slept i missed 2 texts and a phone call from her.I awoke to a nasty breakup text and ended up taking a week stress leave from work.A couple of months after that we had a chat at the pub and talked about having a proper talk about reconciling.I left her but 2 hour later she caught up with me and abused me in a drunken psychotic rage.Since then her father has passed away and i have sent her the odd text and she has responded in a non aggressive way.I have most of her family on facebook and i know they really like me.I love this woman so intensely and want to contact her to have a face to face chat to reconcile.Could this work.Has anybody out there had a similar situation.I suspect she feels the same but she is very stubborn and i think i should be the one to make the move,but with the bipolar its hard to know what mood she is in.I have done a lot of research so i know what she is going through out of love and respect for her.Any advice would be much appreciated.im hoping to get encouragement.Thanks so much.
64 Replies 64

I can understand your feelings, but a life with this woman will have many challenges. If things are bad now, matters will only get worse with time. This is just my opinion based on my own personal experience.

As quirkywords has suggested, you will get a better response from forum members if you startup your own thread.

Cheers

Thanks I did notice that after I posted it. I have posted another but not sure if it’s up yet.

thankyou

Thanks for replying.

Mr Paul every person is different. I know people with bipolar who have been happily married for over 40 years, also being with in a relationship with someone with bipolar does not have to be challenging. I appreciate you were saying what happened to you. There are also many people who have long term enjoyable relationships with someone with a mental illness.
if some one with bipolar has the right treatment and support they can be stable and reliable.
I am sorry you had a bad experience.

Hi quirky

I have started a new post, and your works are encouraging. My fear is that she may not feel the same way

Hi Quirkywords

Just to be clear, I made no reference to bipolar in my previous post. This omission was no accident!

Thanks Mr Paul,

My mistake just assumed because it was what I don’t know was talking @bout. See now it was a general comment that if there is a problem now it may get worse.

I apologise.

Hi QW

We are all good. On reflection, I should have been more explicit. My apologies also.

Just out of interest, why "quirkywords"? Most of your posts are soothing and supportive. Is there a story here?

Cheers

Paul

Correction

All of your posts are soothing and supportive. Is there a story here?

Hi I just don’t know.

Your situation sounds way too familiar to mine and I want you to know that this is not uncommon for people who experience personality difficulties. Her treatment is in no way a reflection of you or who you are as a person. People who experience a personality disorder may find it very difficult to manage their emotions and thoughts. For a healthy minded person and someone who behaves in a healthy manner, it can be excruciatingly hard to even be able to comprehend what one may be going through.

Know that you may be either be loved or hated - emotionally unreliable - may not be able to comprehend feelings or be emotionless - this is a very clear sign. Very limited to no emotions. If you get brushed off, very normal, if you need mental or physical support - this may not happen and that's where you'll be affected.

Please know that people who experience a type of personality disorder are all humans, who also have lives and can also love - some can love very well, some are on the total opposite of the spectrum.

For you, I can only suggest that you are extremely clear on your boundaries. You must tell her how much you appreciate her and how much you are willing to support her - they love attention, gifts and to be treated exceptionally well. They are usually high maintenance but with raw genuine love an passion - only if they can trust you. If you even hint any type of untrustworthy, you out.

Let her come to you and be ready to open your beautiful heart, only if you can tread the heat - it will make you strong, trust me.

My Paul, kthing deep I like quirky things and I like words.

To me quirky means a bit different.

Thanks for your kind words.