FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relationship Anxiety

ccooper
Community Member

I've been with my partner for about 18months, we had a really rocky start... He knew my previous relationship ended because I cheated which I felt horrendous about, and had more issues about the amount of sexual partners I have had (under 20) but he considered it too many and just wouldn't talk to me and made me feel really bad about myself... made me delete certain ppl from social media.. And he also threatened to break up with me for not sleeping with him enough... And he has bad anger issues.. That mixed with my own issues of anxiety/depression... When we had fight i would have an anxiety attack and he would just get angry at me for them saying i was playing the victim.

Anyway, things have been a lot better for about 4 months and he wants to start planning trips etc together for the end of the year, but i'm really apprehensive and scared.. I don't know why? I love him, but I'm scared that it won't last, or something will happen.  I feel like i can't talk to him because he's really sensitive and gets offended quite easily.  Will this go away? why am i like this 😞

13 Replies 13

Ladyhawke
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Cooper, 

​Apologies for not responding earlier - I have been dealing with a few personal issues.

I'm so glad you've taken the very positive step of making an appointment with your GP. As Mary suggested, take a copy of your posts or thread and after your GP has read them, that will get the ball rolling and make it much easier for you to open up.

I deeply regret the two and a half years I spent in a toxic relationship.  I ignored advice from family members, friends and, even my previous psychiatrist, to leave my ex after about 4 months into the relationship.

I constantly made excuses for his behaviour, blamed myself for somehow triggering his emotional and psychological abuse and managed to convince myself I was overreacting to my situation.

My ex managed to lower what was already a poor sense of self-esteem by constantly putting me down, had me questioning my intelligence and sanity through manipulation and, after about a year into the relationship, began controlling access to my friends and family. He was also verbally abusive and I was constantly walking on eggshells, trying to avoid setting him off on one of his irrational rages.

After the abuse, he was always very contrite, telling me he didn't deserve me, how much I meant to him etc., etc.

I became extremely worn down, both mentally and physically and finally managed to end the relationship, over a six week period, with the support of family members and my psychiatrist.

After I was finally free of him, my psychiatrist suggested I attend a support group for women who had survived domestic abuse - physical, emotional or psychological. It was the best thing that he could have suggested. All of us in the support group carried scars, whether physical or psychological.

You are absolutely taking the right action in speaking to a professional. As Mary wrote, you were sufficiently concerned to write to the forums, so on some level you must be aware that you have an issue that needs to be looked at seriously.

Take heart that you're not alone.  I found Elizabeth's post very uplifting and am very glad she was able to take the positive step she did.

I do hope all goes well with the visit to your GP. Mary, Elizabeth and myself understand what you're going through and we're concerned about you. I think I can speak for us all when I say that we hope you can resolve the situation and that you will be in a better place, for your emotional and physical well-being, very soon.

Take care of yourself.

lh

Hello Elizabeth,

​I just wanted to echo Mary in congratulating you on your courageous step forward. What you have done is something most of us find very difficult to do. That you have been able to end a toxic relationship is wonderful and you provide a great example to others.

Again, congratulations and best wishes for your future.

lh

Lady Hawk and Mary, 

Thank you for your encouragement and support. Its been a positive week, but hasn't all been easy. There are downs to it, and I'm going to see my psychologist for that extra bit of emotional support. As they try and worm their way back into you're life..that's the difficult part right now is keeping him out. But I always come back here and read over how upset I was, all the supportive people there is here and it gives me a lot of strength. So thank you, the kind words means a lot. 

xxx

Dear Elizabeth, 

​I'm really glad you'll be seeing your psychologist for added support. Leaving an abusive relationship is hard particularly when the ex partner attempts to manipulate his way back into your life. My ex continued to contact me for approximately 6 weeks after I left the situation; my understanding from speaking with other abuse survivors is that this is very, very common. During this period, I relied on my psychiatrist and close family members for support.

Whenever your ex attempts any manipulation, just try to recall how positive you were after leaving and think back to the unpleasant times during the relationship; who would want to go through that again? You should feel very proud of the amount of strength you showed to realise: "Enough! I am worth so much more than this!"

You have the support of your psychologist, which you will find hugely beneficial in the weeks ahead, which may, at times, be difficult.

You also have the support of Mary and myself. We have both been where you are, so you can imagine how delighted we both were when you took the very difficult, but extremely positive step to leave  such an unhealthy relationship.

Feel free to make contact whenever you wish or need to.  I try to check into the forums every 2 or 3 days and I know Mary checks in very regularly.

This is a new chapter in your life and I'm so very happy for you.

Kind regards

lh