FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Psychologist advice

sentinel23
Community Member

I've recently separated from my wife of 20 years. I've been doing a lot of reading and have slowly come to the realization that I may have been emotionally abused during our marriage, and my mental health has been affected. I decided to see a psychologist as I need to talk a few things through and get back to the person I used to be.

I've had 2 sessions with the psychologist I was referred to and am unsure if I should continue with them. They don't appear to take any notes, and with 2 weeks between sessions we seemed to cover a lot of the same topics in each session as I'm certain they have forgotten what has already been discussed. Also, sessions have started 5 mins late and ended 5 mins early. Are my expectations too high, or should I try to find someone else?

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hey sentinel23,  Thanks for sharing what’s going on for you here. It sounds like you’ve taken some incredible steps in researching and advocating for your healthcare, but you’re not feeling understood. We’re really sorry to hear that, and we’re grateful for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others who might understand some of what you’re going through.  We’d recommend reaching out to 1800RESPECT to get support with this. You can contact them on 1800 737 732 and they also have webchat here. We want to let you know that the Beyond Blue Support Line is here for you 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or online. We’d also encourage you to keep your prescribing doctor updated on what’s going on for you and seek a second opinion from a differing doctor to get some more perspective on your treatment options.   We are here to support you and you are not alone. Thank you so much for sharing here. Please feel free to share a bit more and let us know what is going on for you, and what might help, if you feel comfortable.   Kind regards,   Sophie M