FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newborn baby struggles

Kim1988
Community Member

Hi all. I’m 8 days postpartum now after a C-section and I’m a first time Mum. I love my little boy to the moon and back.

Before my little boy was born I had never had much experience looking after small babies and I’ve never been particularly maternal, unlike my sister. I like kids, but just never had that natural motherly flair. I’m struggling with getting the hang of the basics i.e. nappy changing, correct way to hold the baby. My husband on the other hand picked things up like a pro. My husband has been very helpful luckily.

My little boy is so serene and peaceful during the day, but at night it’s a struggle sometimes to settle him down. It stresses me out when he cries so much. He was so attached to me in the hospital. He loved sleeping in my arms, now we’re at home and there’s more people around so I think he’s not as attached to me as he was in the hospital.

I feel like such a bad mother cause sometimes I feel like I’ll never get the hang of things. I’m sure my little boy can pick up on the fact that I don’t have a lot of confidence with him. He’s such a sweet baby and I just want to do a good job for him and to be happy and healthy.

10 Replies 10

Hi Kim1988!

Honestly, it sounds like you are such a natural when it comes to motherhood and you've got a routine down!

I can completely hear what you are going through, having a baby is so challenging and having all the responsibilities put on yourself can lead to burnout or fatigue. I'm really proud of you for bringing up the topic to your husband (I really hope that he does step up!). It sounds like you have been very considerate in the timings of the feeds your husband would take to align with his schedule.

From my friend's experiences, sometimes the husband just does not truly understand what the wife goes through. If and when you need to have a conversation with your husband it might be worth also explaining how you have been feeling (i.e. fatigue, wishing for more support).

It sounds like you are an amazing mother and I really hope that you will be able to get the support you need! Please update us on how it goes with your husband if you feel comfortable to do so