FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My life partner has been cheating on me by visiting brothels and private sex workers

AS101979
Community Member

Hi

I have been with my husband for 23 years, all of my adult life.  We've been married for 13 of those years. We have always been a great couple, we love all the same things, and we had built a great life with each other and our young sons, age 5 and 9.

My entire world turned inside out and upside down 3 days ago.  I found out that on the day he had off from work he visited a sex worker in the city. He told me he was getting a hair cut and was looking around for a bit before picking our car up at the service centre.  While he was arranging to meet her, at her apartment, collecting the keys to go in, he was texting me at the same time with just general chit chat. 

I am floored, gutted, unable to understand why and how he could go through with it. 

Its not his first time.  He has admitted to doing it 5/6 times, over the last 18 months. He understands now that it was wrong, but when he was first caught out, in all of the discussions following, he didnt actually say sorry and he just kept telling me he didnt actually have sex with any of them, just other stuff. As though that made all the difference.

Hes a great dad, Ive loved him for as long as i can remember and i cannot cope with the thought of a life without him, but I beleive this is the end for us. He has left the family home, and I am still talking to him to try and piece all of this together.

This month it was twice, one week after the other. It was starting to become more frequent when Ive discovered it. The last time, a few days ago, he was very relaxed and happy at home that night, with us, and the kids. More happy than usual, talkative, having fun with the kids. 

Its all hard, some things more than others. The betrayal and the lies, and the fact it went on for so long is hard for me to accept. He wants to try counseling, but i dont know if it is worth my time. 

I don't think this is someone that will change and that deserves his family now. But it is very hard after 23 years to give up on the future, on my childrens future with their dad. Of course i would never stop their relationship with him, but they are already grieving the things they know will never be the same without him here like he used to be. Its very difficult to see them suffering. 

Any advice anyone has would be helpful.

11 Replies 11

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello AS, I'm so sorry I missed your reply, but understand that he may promise to stop with full intensions, but it's the times when you both might have a disagreement and in annoyance he will begin what he had agreed on stopping and so it all starts again, especially as your doctor suggested there could be an addiction.

Trust is imperative and with this comes honesty and if neither of these can be re-established, then you wonder who the person is you actually married.

I'm very sorry.

Geoff.

Life Member.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello EM, I must totally agree with you, that in this particular situationmarriage counselling wouldn't be of any benefit, simply because he will make promises that he won't be able to keep.

Geoff.

Life Member.