FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm at my wits end - need help with dealing with my husband's anger

rcjy
Community Member

I've been married for 8 years and have 2 kids. My husband has been going through some issues and recently it has gotten a lot worse. He has a choleric personality in which is ambitious and very goal oriented. He had this plan where he wanted to be successful by 30 and make enough money so that he could quit his job (in which he hates - this job pays him enough to support the family quite comfortably). He has had this goal in mind since he was in university.

I, however, am very passive in everything I do so earning lots of money has never been my goal. I take things too easy, I'm laid-back and very indecisive, therefore, when we got married, it was perfect. He makes the decisions, I trust him and follow.

But life being that it is, doesn't turn out the way we want it to be. To make enough money, my husband and I invest in many businesses or projects to achieve his goal and not one has been successful. In fact we have lost a lot of money in these investments. They are not scams, they just didn't turn out the way we wanted it to be. With my personality, I say "let it go and move on. Try again". With his personality, he says "I'm a failure, things don't go my way. I'm angry and frustrated that I can't achieve my goal". Now, it has been many years and we are still where we are with 2 kids. It has now come to a point where he can't control his anger. He's shouting at home and he's now angry at my 'don't care' attitude. This 'don't care' attitude is my way of letting things go so I don't need to deal with his anger.

I am now at my wits end and I snap back at him more and more now. One time I lost it and starting throwing things in the house. Our kids cried when they saw me. He has seen a counsellor for his issues (this was a few years ago) but after 8 sessions, he says it's not working. He says "this is how it is with life, I am a failure and nothing goes well for me. I don't know why I'm living. You should have never married me, you should have been with someone else. We should not have had the kids" He keeps saying he wants to turn back time.

I should add that he plays games to take his mind off things but if he loses in the game, he snaps.

I need help on how to deal with the situation as I can't seem to hold back on my own anger now because of his frustration. I snap when he snaps. It is getting out of hand. Should I just leave but that seems like running away from the problem.

11 Replies 11

rcjy
Community Member
Thank you for the insight. It has been helpful. Defensive is the most accurate word to describe my reaction to things. I think I have been defensive all my life so when there's an argument, my husband says I don't make sense and I go off topic.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi again

Children although affected, are resilient. They adapt better than us. He's daring you, not trying to find a solution- his way or the highway.

It is debatable what effect separation will have on your kids, but don't forget, they are witnessing abuse now.

You are tied, in a catch 22. You now know the theory of action and non action.

The decision is yours, staying, if you choose to means making the best of a poor situation.

Whatever you choose we will still support you either way.

TonyWK