FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Family Issues to do with problematic behaviour

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello

I come from a large family of 9 siblings. Recently I have discovered that my oldest brother has serious bi-polar issues mixed with a real religious obsession for being right and supposedly having "divine" inspiration on any issue. His marriage of 50 years has just fallen apart...surprise surprise.

I also have 2 sisters with similar behaviours without the divine inspiration aspect, and another brother who disappeared for 10 years, has arrived on the scene, and has very obvious intense obsession about his own self importance. Whenever he calls, the total conversation is about himself, his achievements and how great he is....although much of what he says is somewhat inflated in actuality.

I have been very careful with my own behaviours and how I act toward others. I am seen as the "carer" or the most even tempered one by my other siblings, although I am one of the younger ones. I must admit, I am getting a little concerned that these behaviours could be catching. Is this paranoia on my part?? I'd be interested in others' comments

23 Replies 23

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quietall~

I'm not going to comment on what you received, just your reaction.

That was a lovely balanced response to him, showing care put not falling into an emotional 'trap' - if you see what I mean. Quite realistic.

I do hope things continue to improve,

Croix

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Croix. I had a visit this morning from his wife. She mentioned her kids had the same sort of letter and responded similarly. They are happy he wrote an apology but suspect it is "His homework after having one session with the psych". They are worried he thinks by sending the email that all will be forgiven and everything gets back to square one according to his perception and time frame. I think there is a lot of water to go under the bridge, and he has to see the psych a few more times and show clearer indication of his appreciation of his own behavioural issues and how they have affected his relationships with his wife, his kids and siblings, before things will change.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quiettall~

I hope you get to see this -not sure which thread to use.

Thank you very much for the pictures of cycling and Da Bia. Each in their own way inspirational. I hope you can, in future times, look back on them and gain comfort and peace - others will.

Croix

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Croix for your support.

I had a beautiful email tonight from the people I worked with in Mekong last year. I was able to help by sending over some money for them to install hot water services in their homes, and also to pay for a new double bed for one house where the family there slept on the floor. It was so heart warming to get their news. I really want to go back there next month and spend more time sharing with them and caring for them. It really digs deep into where I feel I can best help others right now