FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

family (inlaws) and how im perceived and its effects on my marriage

BonnieH
Community Member
hello, im new here and very uncertain and shaky writing things even beginning to cry because i feel that im releasing things that should be my problems noone elses, I should fix them and not burden others. i am having trouble mainly at the moment with my partner's family not accepting me and making me feel very abnormal and need to behave in a certain manner around them and if i dont my partner will be very angry later and give me a lecture on my behavior and how its perceived with his family i keep asking myself am i really that bad a person etc. im very scared of family functions and dread them as it seems such an effort to keep tabs on my subject of conversation, my actions and my behaviour and totally act like a different person and by the end of these events i am so very tired, this has been happening for a few years now and ive only just started to become more concerned as recently one evening a family member sent me very inappropriate message i showed my partner as it was his family and he suggested that i encouraged the messages/behaviour and i was possibly cheating on him, this is freaking me out even more when around his family as i believe my husband doesnt trust me
10 Replies 10

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear BonnieH,

I can understand your sentiments. It's natural to try an appease a situation because you love your partner and fear losing them. However, I would like to give you some food for thought. Without you speaking out, your partner is not going to change. You'll continue living this way, feeling like you're excluded and pushed to the margins in his life. Is this a life that you envision for yourself in the long run?

Alternatively, you can speak out and risk him getting angry. Yes, there is the possibility of losing him as well. But if you lost him because you were standing your ground, wouldn't that say volumes about him? Wouldn't that show you that he was not willing to build a life with you, but rather wanted someone passive who he could push around? On the other hand, if he listened to you, then you'd have taken a step towards healing this relationship.

Do consider the possibilities. Ultimately, your approach is completely your choice. It may not have been the choice another person may have made, but what's important is that you're happy with your choice.

On another note, do you have a support network around you that you can talk about this to? Perhaps friends, or your own family? Given the difficulties in your relationship, it's good to have someone on your side as well.

Kindly,
M