FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Severe anxiety and ptsd symptoms

Mina19
Community Member

Hi people,

im 21 now when I was 16 I experienced a really horrible trauma, a man I trusted for many years exposed himself. This man did this to other girls my age to and he went to jail. Since this event I began to develop severe anxiety, ptsd, panic attacks and health anxiety and a host of physical symptoms especially my digestive system. My psychologist and doctor said it’s like I’ve held onto the trauma so long that it’s inflamed my intestines. One day it can be no symptoms and other days like loose stools, mucus and gas (sorry to much info) and I just don’t know why this trauma has still got a hold of me after all these years. Before this happened to me I was totally fine but now I’m constantly on edge, panicky and a host of physical symptoms that make me feel what if I’m dying. I feel so stupid and scared. There’s so much more I could say but my post would go on and on. I’m sorry for posting so much but I’m so scared I’m going to die of this ptsd.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Mina19, 
We are so sorry to hear that you're struggling with so many physical and mental health symptoms after such a traumatic experience. It sounds like it would feel very overwhelming and difficult to manage at times. What helps on the really tough days?

Please know that there is no need to apologise for your post, this is a safe non-judgemental space to talk things through. Our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. However, if you think it could be helpful, we would also encourage you to speak with the Blue Knot Helpline, as they are specalised trauma counsellors that may be about to offer additional support or referrals. There contact number is 1300 657 380 (Monday - Sunday between 9am - 5pm AEST). 

Keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mina19,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

I wanted to jump in because you're not alone in your trauma and digestive symptoms- I have major issues with my gut and digestion and it took me far too long to realise that it was from trauma. I had so many tests and doctors jump to awful conclusions and so much pain that I felt like I was dying too.

What I've learned is that I'm not dying- and neither are you- it's just that we have so much trauma and our body 'remembers'. What you went through is so hard and you didn't deserve it, and especially because you were so young it's kind of like no wonder you're feeling this way.

I hope that sharing this helps a little. You're not stupid Mina19 - so incredibly brave for reaching out here.

rt

Thank you so much for your response. I thought it was just me feeling this way and it made me so panicked and scared. Thank you