FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Robbed at knifepoint - struggling with ptsd

Hermione_2961
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I’ve been struggling with ptsd (diagnosed by psychologist) after being robbed at knifepoint on the way to work one morning.

Everyone around me has been really kind and supportive and my boss has been amazing about checking in and accomodating work as needed. But even with all the support I have (which I am very grateful for) I just feel really alone and then guilty for feeling alone.

My husband suggested I reach out on here and see if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Logically I know that everything will be okay and that I really am safe most of the time but I just feel so afraid and anxious so often. Just walking in my own home I feel my heart start to race every time I turn the corner or turn off the light. Every time I try to sleep I’m experiencing flashbacks and panic attacks and frequently waking up multiple times throughout the night from nightmares. I’m seeing a psychologist and trying to get in to a psychiatrist - but everyone I’ve asked is booked out for months. I’m just starting to feel like this fear will never go away.

1 Reply 1

Priya953
Community Member

I'm really sorry to hear about the traumatic experience you went through and the challenges you're facing with PTSD. It's normal to feel alone and anxious, even with a supportive network. PTSD can be a complex and overwhelming condition, but there is hope for healing and recovery.

I would highly recommend checking out an article I found that provides effective coping strategies for PTSD. It offers valuable insights and techniques to help you navigate your symptoms and work towards healing from within. The article discusses strategies such as accepting and validating your feelings, connecting with trusted individuals, letting go of the need for control, practicing grounding techniques, and seeking professional help. Here is the article  Healing From Within: 5 Effective Coping Strategies For PTSD. at yourmentalhealthpal.com website. 

Remember, healing takes time, and it's essential to be patient with yourself. Reach out to your psychologist for ongoing support. Even though the wait for a psychiatrist may be extended, they can provide additional guidance and potential medication options when you're able to see one.

Take it one step at a time, and know you're not alone.