FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Narcissistic Abuse - Finally Free!

FinallyFree
Community Member

I can't believe I am free.

I was with my ex-fiance for 8 years and suffered at the hands of his cruel torments, naming, shaming and blaming. I forgot who I was for a long time. It wasn't until I was humiliated in public so harshly that I decided enough was enough.

As a child, growing up I came from a broken home. I was lucky to have my Dad and Stepmum who loved and supported me. My mother was cruel, manipulative and destructive... but she sucked me in. It was during my early twenties and living with my mother that I realised I needed out and it was then that I met my ex-fiance. He was charming, nice, complimented me and made me feel special. This was the first alarming sign I should have seen.. but I was so wrapped up in the honeymoon period I didn't listen to my "gut".

Once we moved in together, the abuse began. He would tell me that my family never loved me, that he was the only one who could look after me, nurture me etc. He told me I was dumb, stupid, worthless and nothing without him. He controlled what I wore, who I saw, where I went. I started losing my self confidence and my ability to converse with others. I was terrified to talk to other people or accept invitations because he would harass me, text me all night or ask people to "look out for me". I felt like I was constantly watched.

3 years later I left him... but I wasn't strong enough. I cried for weeks and felt more alone than ever. I took him back and endured another 5 years of hell.

This time round, he didn't control who I talked to or saw.. but he diminished my existence and self worth. He used violence and blackmail to get what he wanted. He threatened to hurt my family, friends and co-workers. Work was my only sanctuary.

After getting engaged, I realised I couldn't marry him. The proposal wasn't romantic at all, it felt as though it was an effort on his behalf to make me stay. He stopped listening to me and dictated every part of my life. The public humiliation was the last straw.. so I left for work... returned home after he had left and grabbed the clothes on my back. I drove for 2 days and back in the care of my family.. I am free! I have inner peace and after extensive research on narcissistic abuse I realise how much of a fool I was... how he sucked me in.

My aim on here is to talk to others about it. The more we talk about it.. the less control the abuser has. I hope my story gives others inspiration to leave.. it was the best thing I have ever done!

47 Replies 47

Cls
Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

He did live with me for a couple of months, but his mum made him go home for Christmas and he never came back. He wants to but he is scared of her and what she might do. I had asked him to move in with me properly, he told his mum and that's when a lot of the double started. Their father passed away 5years ago, he is oldest, so yes she expects him to look after her and his younger brother, even though they are all adults.

He still wants to live with me, but he is really scared to leave his family. I know I can't make him leave, but it's so hard to see him how he is. And I have only made things worse with his mum because I have threatened their family structure. He isn't close to his family, yet he is scared to leave due to all the things his mum has convinced him of.

I don't know if I should back off and give him time, or keep doing my best to contact him and talk to him.

FinallyFree
Community Member

HI Cls,

Sorry to hear that your partner has an narcissistic mother! My gosh I totally understand this as my ex's mother and father are both narcs.

Honestly, trying to help your partner see them for who they are is so difficult. My mother is like this and it had to be a significant and life changing incident to happen to me with them that made me come to this realisation. It also helped me realise about my ex.

I think guiding him and talking to him about his experiences would help. Unfortunately most have to come to the realisation on their own, as they are so in tune with the fear and pleasing/fixer part of themselves that any advice is only advice.. they need to make the steps to get out all together. Given the strong connection to family the only way would be to cut off all contact. Given his father has gone, this is going to be a long and difficult process. Maybe introduce him to some materials or read these posts together.

I wish you all the best. What an amazing person you are to want to help him. A person such as yourself is the best support an empath needs.

Hi Karen,

Firstly, thank you so much for commenting on here. I apologise that it is a trigger subject and appreciate your story. Sorry to hear your experience, I totally get it and I hope that these support avenues are able to assist you with your healing story. 

I am here to talk if you like and I hope you find yourself again. You deserve all the happiness joy and love this world has to offer.

Hi Birdy77,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It not only made me cry, but made me feel as though I am not alone. So thank you!

Yes I have seen Melaine's website and it has been a fantastic help. The thing that made me come to terms with the abuse I suffered was the realisation that it wasnt the first time. My mother had done this to me for so long.

I am glad you are free of your narc! Well done of your journey and coming so far. It takes time and there are times where I feel guilt and shame. When I do feel like this, I come on hear and read stories and articles to reassure myself I have done the right thing. These stories will help others and if its the only thing we take out of these forums then this is an amazing step. People deserve to know what these people are capable of and if our experiences can change someones life.. we are doing the right thing.

Thank you and I wish you all the love and happiness you deserve! Please keep me posted of your journey, I would love to hear how you are getting on.

HI Bindi,

WOW! Thank you for your reply and congratulations on your journey. I am so please you found someone to love, protect and have an equal relationship with, that is fantastic!

Yes I have read alot of this over the last few days and everything your saying is correct. This will certainly help when I decide to put myself out there again. You are stop on about the fog lifting. Everyday I discover a new part of myself when I read something or come on here and see all the support. Your right, how can they pretend to show compassion and "love" when they are incapable of it.

Something that concerns me is how medical experts are going to be able to diagnose these people if they are so good with their mask. It scares me to think of how many are wandering this earth and preying on innocent empath's. We can only hope that something changes and the more articles and information is available, the more lives can be saved.

Yes I think the codependence with parents and how that creates both narc's and can cause destruction with empath children is an interesting and important part of research when it comes to understanding NPD. I would love to get into a discussion about this, so that we can educate and help others who may be experiencing this.

I am staying with my parents until I get on my feet. I am back at work which keeps me occupied and these forums offer immense support.

Once again thank you for your post and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello finally Free,

My parents ruled us with fear, with a jug chord, I thought this was how everyone lived, I was never allowed out to my friends house, they were never allowed over mine, What went on in my family's home stayed behind locked doors,

Then married at 18, to escape my family, I was so wrong, now I lived with a worse problem as a husband he had certain rights over me, the first 10 years, I once again was ruled by a dominating and extremely cruel husband, next 28 or so years I was now living in fear, sometimes in fear of my life. I had to stay to protect my children, Then I had to stay for fear of what I knew was was capable of doing. This also stayed behind closed doors.

Why didn't I leave him your all saying. Fear again kept me their, I left him a couple of times, but narcissistic brain wash you into believing you are the wrong one, you deserved what you get, you caused all the problems. especially if that is they way you lived all your life from a very young age, he found me once, well things got worse from then on. The other time I went back because he had me believing I caused him to have a heart attack, all lies, I decided then that if I wanted to survive I had better stay put, as threats were starting to fly around now. Strange thing was everyone who knew, worked with or associated with my husband thought he was the perfect gentleman.

4.5 years ago he died, I held all this pain, hurt fear, guilt and other emotions I won't write in here, for nearly 2 years I hung on. then out of nowhere I had a major breakdown, my world came crashing down and took me with it. I am now so broken and crushed that I am struggling to accept me. and I'm continually asking so many why's.

A little bit of living with a narcissistic person/people.

Karen.

Cls
Community Member

Thank you so much. I'm feeling a little bit better about it now. I just have to tough it out and hope he can too. Next time I see him I shall see if I can get him to do some reading with me.

I know last time I was there he started seeing what she was doing, not letting him speak, share his feelings, it was all about her, he tried to stand up for me and himself but she kept telling him off and trying to send him inside so I couldn't see him. I had to leave my car key with her just to talk to him privately.

I just have to hope he can get his strength up to do something about it. He has myself and a friend of his that have been really supportive for him, so hopefully that can help him.

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Hi Cls,

I agree with Finally Free, its going to be process for you and your boyfriend to figure this out, and I'm really sorry for the pain you are enduring right now. I'm totally with you; it would better for you and your boyfriend to live together. Ideally, you would go back to having the distance with your boyfriend's mother he already wanted.

It would even be better for your boyfriend's mother to find an adult man to be her new spouse, instead of pressuring her son into the role. There's a word for what she's doing, its called `Spousification'. Narcissistic mothers are reknown for it, its when they pressure sons into fulfilling needs a husband should fulfill. Its a form of abuse. They will do it for any reason, but loss of a husband gives them more leverage for manipulating your boyfriend into that role .

A son is not a husband, he has the need to have a wife and family of his own. Mothers who spousify have no respect for the things a son needs, and they are very jealous and undermining of any romantic relationship their son has.

I think the only thing you can do, is to share information with him. Try to name the abuse he is experiencing. He will be stressed, he won't be liking being the `new husband'. Its a good opportunity to help him understand that the pressure he us feeling from her, is abusive. And try to make him understand, it doesn't help her either, she needs a man who is not her son to give her what she really needs. If he steps back instead of fulfilling that gulf in her life, she has more chance at happiness too.

If you have time, google the word `Spousification'. Its real eye opener and will explain a lot about what you boyfriend is experiencing. He will be grateful to know too, I'm sure.

Cls
Community Member

He has told me he wants to live with me, but he he is scared. One, because it is a big step for a relationship and it is freaking him out, which I know a is a normal feeling, but he thinks he has a problem because of it. The second reason is because if he decides to love with me, he won't be able to bring anything with him and he'd have to start again, because his mum won't let him leave with a bag, I still have some of his stuff though.

I agree that she needs to find another partner, her other son has tried to tell her this, but she is adement that her husband was her one and only, she won't even try to move on. Honestly, I don't think any of them grieved properly when the husband/father passed away, they haven't endured the process, there is still a lot of deniel and anger. What triggered my boyfriends depression, was partially due to the anniversary of his dad's death, so he had started dealing with it and talking about it recently, but his mum wouldn't let him, so she is basically stopping him from moving on with his life.

I have been talking to a friend of his, and this isn't the first time their mum has done this to her son's girlfriends, which is what has lead me to believe that she is not prepared to let the boys go. The only way for that to happen is for them to leave.

It's really hard to communicate with my bf right now since his mum is watching him and his phone like a hawk and I can't just show up on the doorstep unfortunately. But hopefully when I see him next I can share this information with him.

Thankyou Bindi-QLD

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Hi Cls,

I really feel for you going through this, with hardly being able to speak to him, and feeling so anxious about your future with him. Being shut out when you feel worried and need to talk to your partner is a very painful situation.

If I may make a general comment, I feel that there will continue to be a lot of pressure put on you , to put aside what you want and need. The pressure is coming from your partner's mother, of course. But your partner is also putting that pressure on you, because he feels compelled to cater to his mother's personality disorder, instead of what your relationship needs.

It would probably be ideal for him if all your needs just disappeared and you went along with enabling his mother's personality disorder. Which means, for you, accepting her cruel behaviour towards you and your boyfriend's unavailability. For a little while, that might keep the peace (for him), but I believe its unfair on you.

I think whatever happens, please be true to yourself, in spite of all the pressure you feel. If you have needs, express them. If you are angry, don't hide it. Be kind, communicate clearly and with love. But don't become the `nothing' that a situation like this demands. Your needs are just as important as anyone else's.

I think what you have on your side, is your boyfriend is unlikely to want to play husband to his mother for long. But if he does choose that role for himself as a long term situation, what do you think you would like to do?