FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sudden loss of my young sister

BC16
Community Member

Hi,

a Month ago my 22yo sister passed away suddenly. She was the healthiest happiest and kindest person and I don’t understand. No one can tell us why that is was just a sudden cardiac event. I can’t sleep, I can’t talk to anyone and I feel so guilt that I couldn’t protect her. My wife wants me to open up but I don’t know how.

13 Replies 13

MNK
Community Member

Hi BC16,

I am sorry for what you have been through and unfortunately I do understand how you feel. 3 weeks ago I lost my completely healthy happy fun loving 30 yr old newly married sister in a senseless accident. It was not even her fault. She was hit by a car whilst she was crossing a suburban street at a zebra crossing. I feel terrible about no being there for her, terrible that I am still alive, terrible that my life is going to move forward and hers is not. How have you been coping over the past few months?

PD08
Community Member

Hi BC16,

I recently lost my older sister at the age of 37. I really resonated with your post and was wondering what helped you through your tough times?

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

PD08,

I've just come across your reply to this post, and I want to offer my condolences for your loss. Losing anybody in your life is difficult, let alone somebody extremely close to you.

I know that when my grandfather passed away, one thing that helped me was surrounding myself with family - we would share memories, talk about things that were unrelated, and just generally offer each other emotional and physical support. Are there any loved ones you would feel comfortable confiding in? Even if you're just in their company, it can make a big differences.

Grief is tough. It's unique and non-linear, and some times are better than others. It's also very okay to grieve, make sure you allow yourself the time, space, patience, and energy to grieve in whichever ways feel natural for you. 

My deepest condolences for your loss once again. Sending all my love.

SB

PD08
Community Member

Thanks SB, I really appreciate you replying.