FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My fathers passing leaving me not knowing how to grieve

tashi
Community Member
I’m a young mother just starting out in life and my father has recently passed away from prostate cancer. I feel incredibly numb . I’ve been walking around like everything is normal . People say “I’m sorry for your loss “ and I say that’s ok . Even thought it’s not . My dad was 55, to young to leave us . I keep seeing him everywhere and then realising it’s not possible. At night time I feel sick knowing that I will never talk to him again or see his face . My heart is seriously aching I don’t know how to move forward from here and continue to be a happy healthy mother for my baby
11 Replies 11

Hello Tashi

Death and loss are always confronting as DB said. The quote from DB You won't be lonely while you have memories is absolutely true. We do miss the physical presence but we can bring back good memories by talking to each other, looking at photos etc. When you are ready try some of these. It will hurt a little but will help even more.

This is part of a poem and I think it's well known. Here are a couple of lines.

DEATH is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. This is so true. I know they are not hugely helpful at the moment as every moment it seems you are reminded of your dad. It will pass and you will find the truth of that little extract.

I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to my dad as he died in England. It's always been a regret of mine but the quotes above, while I did not know them then, are right and I can bring my dad and my mom to mind. I certainly talk to my mom. I also answer for her because I know what she is going to say. I miss being held by them but I know they would hug me if they were here.

So take heart my dear, you will get through this horrid patch and come out the other side. With a few scars yes, but also with the knowledge that can help another in the same situation. Please be kind to yourself and your mom and accept that grieving and loss are part of life. This loss happened before you expected it.

Hope you will continue posting as long as you need.

Mary

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tash & all

Reading Whiteroses post above reminded me of a couple of coping mechanisms that still help me today with my partners loss

She said she talks to her Mum, if my MIL hadnt said yrs ago she talked to her late hubby I wouldnt have thought to & 3 yrs later I still talk to my late which has bought me enormous comfort & probably will continue, I feel a connection doing this

The other thing I found helpful was I talked to a lot of people about the loss of my late, it helped with release & many having been through this heart break can relate as well as people having different experiences say different things often very comforting

Heart goes out to you

Look after yourself darl & please pass condolences to your Mum