Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

living with depression since the death of my brother

Community Member

I'm not really sure how this sort of things works, and I haven't professionally been diagnosed with depression or anything but since loosing my mum 7 years ago and my brother at 22 two years ago my teachers and older sister have continuously been trying to get me to speak to a psychologist , but I just don't feel comfortable doing it! I never believed I could be suffering from a mental health issue but after researching into depression more I feel it possible that I am infact living  with depression and have been since the death of my brother , I'm not really sure what to do but I don't tell a lot of people about my life story because its very complicated but I'm in yr 12 this year and haven't been myself .. 

2 Replies 2

Community Member

It may or may not help to speak to a psychologist, but I can tell that you need to talk to someone and tell your story. A psychologist will consider your story carefully and confidentially, so you might feel safer telling secrets to someone that is sworn to keep your secrets. If you're not worried about that, then tell a counsellor, or a close friend or family member. If you want, you could tell us. This anonymous forum will protect your identity.

Tell your story to someone. 

Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Talan, it's so sad losing family in such a close period of time and your a young girl.

Your life story seems to be one which may require some help, and I do hope that when you feel comfortable you will be able to post some of it on this forum, so we can assist you further.

There is a test which you can take and it's on one of the sections above or you could contact BB and ask them where it is, I don't remember, and someone might reply back as to where you can find it.

Now back to you, you could be regarded as having PND as your brother has passed away, as I don't believe that this illness is only for new mum's and dad's and their baby.

 What you need to do is to see a doctor and this can be found under 'get support' at the top of this page, or go to your own doctor and they will ask you a few questions and it will be easy for them to establish whether or not you have depression.

From what you have sent in it seems as though you do have it, and it couldn't come at a worse time trying to finish year 12.

With depression this will complicate your memory and ability to concentrate, so it mentally handicaps you, and you won't be able to complete the year as best as you want to.

A psychologist is just another person sitting in the same room as yourself, and their only priority is to make you feel better and then overcome your depression.

If you just start off the conversion with him/her by saying that your dear mum passed away a few years ago and now your brother has also passed away, that would be enough for them to begin the session.

They will understand your sorrow and bereavement and then go very slowly with you, they are the experts, and will find out what else is bothering you.

You just have to tell them what you want and as you find a connection then it's up to you.

It's an important time in your life, and I hope that you reply back to us. Good luck.   Geoff. x