FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

ontarioguy35
Community Member
Thanks both AGrace and Can't Move Forward, for your advice.  I've actually never heard of this natural sugar found in cantaloupe and oranges.  I'm very excited to give this a try and will definitely post any changes in mood that I notice.  AGrace, I've found that exercise, healthy eating, and sleep have been my main staple to aiding in the management of my depression/anxiety.  On top of this, I've found that my spirituality/relationship with God, has really brought me to a place of peace and forgiveness, which has really helped as well.  I have made many changes in my life, and I find one of the major ones that has really helped me was simply being very honest with myself about who I consider to be at the maturity level I need for friendship.  It's always difficult moving away / growing apart from people, but I've learned to accept these changes, however, to pray for all those around me and in the future, you really never know who will re-enter your life again.  I'm very happy I've found this online community though.  I've been pretty reserved about my depression and anxiety and am really looking forward to sharing and hearing from others about their struggles and success stories. 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ontarioguy,

Welcome and you're welcome! I'm assuming you're Canadian?

I met 3 Kanuks from Toronto when I travelled Europe about 20 years ago. my fondest memories are of the times I had with them.

No one will tell you about inositol.  it has been recommended by a holistic dr who has done a lot of research about it and its effects. I look forward to hearing how you find it.

I too looked to my spirituality/God during a difficult time. I would love to hear more about this and about the changes you have made in your life.

Perhaps you could start your own thread if your'e happy to share this with us?

Looking forward to hearing more.

CMF

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi everyone. I'm an athiest however I am deeply spiritual in my connections with animals and our world. My spirituality doesnt extend to humans...only a select few.

I have mentioned this  several times over the last 6 months. It is a self help, non religious messenger named "Marahaji" real name Prem Rawat. He has many Youtube videoes that, for me, has touched the core of my soul.

My favourite is 'Sunset" and another "the perfect instrument".  Marahaji's life as a teacher started at age 9 when he stood before his grieving villagers to tell them to stop grieving and start cellebrating the elders life that had passed. By 13 he was on TV. Now he's be in his 60's and flies  his own Learjet around the world meeting his followers that have found their own key to their inner heart through Marahaji's teachings. It may be religious of a kind but not for me.

Google Marahaji Prem Rawat sunset and start your ride to inner peace. I used to have him on tape in the car. His works dragged me out of depression, made me confident and appreciative of my being. A big fan.

ontarioguy35
Community Member
Can't move forward said:

"Perhaps you could start your own thread if your'e happy to share this with us?

Looking forward to hearing more.

CMF"

Hi CMF,

Yes, I am Canadian 🙂  I'd love to share from my personal experience.  I'll start a new thread and share my story.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ontarioguy,

I'll keep an eye out for it.

CMF

missmuppet
Community Member

Thank u A Grace. I'm really struggling right now & will try putting aside my feelings for a while. Go & be in my happy place & then have a sleep & wake up & start again. Thanks xo

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks so far for all of your suggestions, it looks like a lot of people have some really positive ways of managing depression a little better. A lot of the strategies I suggested can be researched online, but I thought I'd offer a few suggestions from the ideas I have found helpful.

Mindfulness - If anyone has a therapist, you probably hear this term all the time. I truly is a great way to really focus your energy on the present moment rather than ruminating about the past or worrying about all the "what if's". You don't have to be at home in bed to practice mindfulness either, as it really requires a present, conscious state, unlike meditation which requires a relaxed, peaceful setting. Mindfully eating a mint or a piece of chocolate is quite simple, and you can do it whenever, wherever. Start by looking at the item, observe it's curves and lines, notice it's colour. Feel the item, is it rough or smooth? Hard or soft? Is it cold or warm against your skin? Smell the item. Now place it in your mouth. Again notice it's texture, notice the taste, notice the sensations it brings about in your mouth - perhaps more saliva. Does it melt easily or remain firm? This only takes a few minutes, but already you're more focused on the item than all of your other stressors.

Distress Tolerance - The simplest way is to focus on soothing yourself. You can create a self soothing kit and put it in a small box or a zip lock bag, something that you can keep with you for when you need it. You might like to come up with your own ideas for what to include, to add to this, here are some suggestions. You can make a stress ball using 2 balloons and some rice. (Put a handful of raw rice into the 1st balloon. Cut 3-4 holes into the second balloon. Stretch the 2nd balloon over the 1st balloon.), include some photos or images of happy memories or people that make you smile. Write down a few positive affirmations on a small piece of paper & include this. Put a few drops of your favourite scent onto a piece of card and include this. You can also include quotes, pictures of pets, a piece of soft or stretchy fabric.

I hope that this is useful for you, and I look forward to us continuing to build on the list of tips.

AGrace

I watched one of my favourite movies "August Rush" with a friend yesterday. I love the feel good ending & was a nice distraction. So afterwards I felt like I could start afresh with a change of my thinking. 🙂

Rubicon
Community Member

The most helpful advice I've ever been given was given by my Dad. He suffered from depression for years. Now he's the most positive, energetic person I know. The advice is this: Check Your Thinking. 

It may not mean or sound like much, but it has been my crutch.

The idea is this: Bouts of depression often sneak up on you. You need to try and get them before they get you. You can do this by consciously assessing your thoughts every now and then. It's quite simple really:

1. What am I doing/thinking?
  2. Do I really want to be doing/thinking this?
  3. If  the answer is no? Let's do/think something else.

The reason? You are the sum of your thoughts. If you are thinking about sad things, you will inevitably become sad. If you expose yourself to sad things you will inevitably absorb that sadness. Your 'spirit' is the product of what you feed and do with your mind.

There's a great quote from the movie High Fidelity(2000):

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? 

The effect your environment can have is well document for extreme cases. Look at PTSD for example. What about the moderate cases, like music preferences, or a lack of friends? If you're mind was a tea cup. Entering a war zone would be like dropping that cup and watching it shatter. And although a sad song is not a violent fall from height, it is a tiny hammer. One swing might not do much, but one hundred will and one thousand will do more. There are many ways a tea cup can break.

All I try and do is avoid the tiny hammers : ) 

Or as my Dad says it, "check your thinking."

Good sleep, regular exercise and a healthy diet is just mandatory.