FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overloaded and snapped.

HankScorpio
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm not really sure where to begin with this, I'll try to be brief. Mid twenties caucasian male. In the past 2 years I've dealt with: an abusive relationship, half of my closest friends walking out on me (I was a variable, not a cause), quitting work, failed musical projects, car accident, sleeping in a kitchen, being poor & doing odd jobs for $$, best friend (my cat) being killed.

I've fought my way through all that rubbish, set up a business, got really fit, started doing yoga, tried new music projects and moved away.

Now I'm sitting at my new house, hating everything. I moved into this lonely, forsaken place and it just hit me all of a sudden how pointless my struggle was and made me question the validity of my goals. My reality has distorted to the point where I have no aspirations anymore, the idea of interacting with others is contemptuous, and all music sounds cacophonous and mocking to my ears.

Every time I try to motivate myself a part of me pushes forward and systematically attacks my intentions and goals.

I have had depression and anxiety since I was about 7-8 years old, seen psychologists before, I'm not on meds and I don't want to be. I have enough self destructive tendencies without furthering my drug dependance. My general distrust of others inhibits me from seeing a GP, so I thought I'd vent here and see if anyone can relate.

Thank you for your time.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi HS, welcome here to beyond Blue forums

I too was at that stage once when I wouldn't take meds. I ended up going to my GP for another health reason and he asked about my meds. I told him I'm over it, had enough of them and there are side effects. He advised me to try a small dose say 5 or 10 mgms of antidepressants. I did and it was remarkable. So little I didn't have side effects but significant to my mental stability and outlook. With mental illness we cant ignore the logic that we need a balance, not just go off them and hope for the best....it rarely works that way.

You've done well for yourself and I suggest taking up a sport or hobby and keeping busy.

Tony WK