FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is there any way to stop caring?

Bubble44
Community Member

Everyone I meet either hates me so much I'm surprised they don't try to kill me, or they tolerate me at best. This isn't unique to one group of people. It's everyone I meet. I'm apparently an extremely dislikable person. It's not how I view myself, but I'd have to be completely delusional to deny that fact.

I've already been through the whole 'oh just get more confident and charismatic and you'll eventually get a group good friends!' And I don't just mean I've been through people advising me to do that. I've literally already done that. And all of those so called friends cut me out of their lives because I objected to one of them who was in the wrong.

I'm so sick of being hated or ignored. It's not just sadness or depression (which I've had for my whole stupid life) anymore. Something feels... wrong. Broken in a way it wasn't maybe a few years ago, despite struggling with depression at that time. Ever since my closest friends effectively told me I am worthless, something inside me is dead. I can feel it.

Now, don't worry this next question is not meant to be some disguised parallel to suicide or something. I have no intention of taking my own life and I'm confident I never will. But the question is; Is there a way to stop caring? Has anyone figured out a way to burn out that last shred of that person inside who wants people to like them? Who wants to fit in? A lot of that has been destroyed inside me, but not enough. Every time I see all the people I work with having drinks and either deliberately excluding me or simply forgetting I exist, it hurts. It really, really hurts and I feel so alone.

I know I'll never have an actual group of friends who care about me. I've accepted that is never going to happen. And while that acceptance spares me some of the pain, some of it's still there. And I need to stop feeling it. I broke years ago and I can't take any more pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to collapse just from being mentally exhausted.

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome and I think you are so brave posting even though its anonymous here.

One key factor that other people like is to be asked questions. I found that makes them feel liked and eventually they might take interest in you because you are displaying your interest in them. Ask questions like "how long did it take you to grow your hair so long- it's fabulous" and "you are really good at basketball, did you do much training". And so on.

In this life we have people around us but essentially we are alone. That means other people can help us a lot but if we dont have the burning desire to achieve anything then the strongest survive materially, career wise and everything else including relationships. A guy/girl wont be very interested in someone that criticises themselves or allows others to get to them, believing every word they say. There comes a time when you have to stand your ground and believe that rubbish comments from others is just that, rubbish and not worthy of pursuing the relationship. To get rid of these cruel people is the first step on a journey to only surround yourself with good positive kind souls.

There is a few threads below, please read the first post of each. The 1st one deals with our nature which we cannot change but best to embrace it. The 2nd is about confidence.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/accepting-yourself-the-frog-and-the-scorpion/td-p/1...

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/the-best-praise-you-ll-ever-get/td-p/134999

I hope you enjoy the site.

TonyWK

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

bubble44

Thanks for letting us know how you feel.

Do you people tell you they don’t like or do you sense from their actions.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bubble 

sorry my post sent early.

i wonder how you know that people don’t like you. 
it is hard when you feel rejected. I know when I say I don’t care I really do. 
Tony has given helpful suggestions. Thanks again for your post.m