FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel very lonely. No one to talk to.

Slippers
Community Member
The family house is being renovated, the floors are being polished and walls painted. My sister has let me sleep in her campervan. Unfortunately and I don’t know why the 240 volt power has died to the campervan, when I told my sister that she had me running around for 20 minutes trying to work out why it isn’t working. In the end she said to me “I thought you knew how to work the van power” I spent a miserable night freezing in the van last night, I have to spend 2 to 3 weeks in the van while work in the house is done and last night was the 2nd one.

I feel lonely, my sister is up at the Central coast, my mother is in a local nursing home, and my cats are in a cattery while the house is renovated. I came home from work last night and plugged in the microwave from the house to a power point in the garage so I could cook and eat dinner. This morning I got up early and plugged in an old bar fridge, the fridge in the camper is not working and things will start to go off.
After I ate dinner, I went to bed feeling sorry for myself. I do have a local sister but she has stolen things from the house before, she does not get on with the sister from the Central coast. She has a spare bed that I could sleep in but I do not want to break the ties of the other sister despite the fact she makes me miserable.

If only I had someone to talk to. I cannot watch television in the van because of the power. I am at work today. This weekend I am looking at a house that I could buy, but I do not know whether I can afford is, the mortgage broker has told me that they have done their due diligence meaning I could afford the house. I feel like I am at the end of my tether with nothing to look forward to.

I got a lot of worry go around in my head.
38 Replies 38

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Heya Slippers,

It's great to hear that you've had your first online session with your psychiatrist. Keep up the sessions! May I also commend your courage for seeking out help too, from both the forums and your psychiatrist. You're doing really well for yourself, and it shows how capable you are with taking care of yourself one small step at a time. Hope you're able to give yourself some love for making it this far by yourself, and I believe things will turn out better for you in the future.

Thank you for the update on your end as well. Hopefully your nights are much warmer with your new sleeping bag. Sorry to hear that your home needs more renovation to it as well, and how you feel your sisters are mistreating you... How did your weekend went? Did you manage to find a cheaper property to purchase?

Always here to listen to you Slippers. Will be rooting for you!

Jt

Hi slippers,

You’ve already taken steps to help yourself eg seeing a psychiatrist, so you deserve credit for that act of kindness to yourself. Posting here too, having social connection with other people on this platform.

You have some legitimate concerns regarding your family, finance and your housing situation. Hopefully in time you will be able to resolve those things...

You’re living in a caravan at your mother’s property at the moment hey?

Yes my sisters campervan. I am grateful that I can use it.
I have since heard that both of the bathrooms and showers are going to be ripped out and replaced. This has made me feel like I am dirt, who know how long I would be without facilities. After hearing that I have lost my self respect and wonder what the point of life is, i don't see a rosy future. I have another meeting with my psychiatrist this week and I am going to bring it up.

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Heya Slippers,

Do you have access to facilities at other locations? Sorry to hear that you feel this way about yourself... Hopefully your next meeting with your psychiatrist will help you feel better about yourself. We're all wonderful souls to this world, with our unique characteristics/traits/personality. It may take some time and fumbling around for us to seek out ourselves and accept ourselves for who we are. But I can assure you when you find yourself, everything will be better from there on. Stay strong Slippers!

Jt

That’s no good slippers.. I think you said money was very tight, but is there any chance you could rent somewhere and at least get some rent assistance or something?

Slippers
Community Member
Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing okay. An update on myself, I have been having good and bad days. I have my two cats at home and they are good company particularly at night when I am not working. I have been working from home since late July. The family home is on the market, I have been looking for a 2-bedroom unit and so far, I have been gazumped twice (someone else offered a higher price on a unit I put an offer in for) and that does not help me, I am looking at another unit this weekend. I am back in the house after the renovations have been completed. So its happened that the family home is being sold, realistically I cannot live here the rest of my life but the whole thing scares me. If I don’t find a unit I have a friend that will help me find something I can rent and I can bring my cat with me. I have been told that it is common during any transition to have anxiety. I also feel sad and fear from having to move out of an comfortable environment to an unknown. And moving out of home, my biggest scare is I hope I have enough money to make ends meet and still be able to save money for a rainy day.

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Slippers,

It's great to hear from you again, and thank you for your wishes. I'm doing well down in Victoria, and to be honest getting a little sick of lockdown 6.0. But I feel we're almost there and we're almost out of this hole, so until then, just gotta keep going forward until things get better.

It sounds like things have improved slightly for you since your last update, and although there are good days and bad days, you're doing well and staying strong still. Keep it up Slippers!

If you were to take up your friend's offer to help you find some place to rent, do you feel you would be in a better financial situation than purchasing a unit? You could set aside a small amount of your income to save for emergency uses such as the rainy day that you described. Even if it's just a small amount of savings (can be $20 a month or more depending on how much you want to contribute), it will still benefit you when you have to use it for rainy day situations. Account that into your finance planning and check to see whether you're still able to purchase a unit.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you feel sad and fear from having to move out of your comfortable environment? I'm curious to know more about your thoughts.

Happy to chat with you more Slipper!

Jt

Slippers
Community Member
An update- I am doing better

Hi all, it’s been a while since I last posted a message on this board.
I am a lot more settled than before, now that I have a place to live I am less fearful
I have bought a unit in south western Sydney. It’s nice and I have spent money in renovating it. I remember before moving that I would have a lot to do on weekends, now I find my weekends slow and I need to force myself out of the unit to go and do something fun.

I worry about the bills and whilst I pay my mortgage on time the money is tight.
I haven’t spoken to my sisters since my birthday, I know they have their own lives. Their attitude is that I should call them all the time, wouldn’t it be nice for them to call me once in a while

I met someone a girl at work that I like. I told her that I enjoy her company, we have been talking back and forwards over a month now. The problem is that I work in the same company as her. I don’t want to hurt her feelings and make my work position untenable. I told her that I enjoy her company, she brightens my day. I hope there will be more than friendship, i will take one day at a time.

I hope to get a response or two with advice; however I will not mind if I don’t. I just wanted to thank for the forum for their advice on the last year and a bit and that I am doing better than I was

Slippers

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Slippers,

Welcome back to the forums! It's great to hear from you again, and that you're doing well. How is your cat doing? Are they also adjusting well to the new place that you bought? When I find myself having a slow weekend at home, I like to think of ways I can decorate the place a bit more, and look into DIY challenges like getting a free bookshelf from the Marketplace online, and converting it into something else while aiming to have minimal to zero wastage. I could spend hours looking for tools and parts online just to get one DIY project down heh heh. Hope you're able to find something fun for yourself to do during your free time.

It's understandable that you don't want to mix in relationships within a professional environment, as it can cause things to be awkward if things don't turn out well. Though I've heard of stories where people have met their significant others thru working in the same company. So I'd say to go with whatever feels right for yourself, and be in the moment to experience it. Like you said, take one day at a time 🙂 .

Keep it up, and keep loving yourself Slippers. Hope to hear from you again soon!

Jt