FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help

discombobulated_bob
Community Member

I’m a youth dealing with depression, and I just want to know if there are any good coping mechanisms or like, ways to distract yourself from the sadness? I’m not really ready to accept myself this way and I really would like to find out if I can feel just the tiniest bit better.

3 Replies 3

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi discombobulated_bob,

What a great question. I've been dealing with depression since I was 20. For me the best thing I find to distract myself is to simply talk to others or friends about what's going on. Or it could simply be a conversation about anything. It usually helps take my mind off things for a few hours and lifts my mood. I also find that when I'm active and concentrating on something (such as exercise, art or reading) that I distract myself from my depression as well. There are more great tools available through CBT such as thought challenging as well.

I also find when I'm anxious that I use relaxation techniques such as breathing to help regulate my mood. There are some examples here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/staying-well/relaxation-exercises 

Hope this helps.

Bob

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. There are many tales of coping mechanisms (e.g., meditation, breathing, walking, etc.) but the true way to learn good coping mechanisms is by seeing a psychologist. They will be able to work with you to develop your own personal strategies. Would you be open to this? You can start by seeing your GP.

All the best,

Jaz xx

Beth_123
Community Member

Hi discombobulated_bob,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking help. Dealing with depression can be difficult, but there are coping mechanisms that can help you manage your symptoms and feel a little bit better.

One strategy is to engage in activities that you enjoy and that bring you pleasure. This can be anything from listening to music, watching a movie, reading a book, or engaging in a hobby. Doing things that make you happy can help distract you from the sadness and give you a sense of enjoyment and fulfillment.

Another helpful technique is to practice self-care. This can involve taking care of your physical health by exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep. It can also mean taking care of your emotional well-being by practicing mindfulness, journaling, or engaging in relaxation exercises like deep breathing or meditation.

It is also important to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional. Talking to someone about your feelings and struggles can provide you with a sense of relief and help you feel less alone.

Finally, remember that healing and recovery take time, and there is no one-size-fits-all solution to depression. Be patient with yourself and keep seeking help and support. There is hope, and things can get better with time and effort.

Take care.