FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Grieving and changes

Sunflower23
Community Member

I’m feeling overwhelmed by the changes that have occurred in my life recently; going through a challenging breakup. Living in the house my partner and I shared doesn’t feel like home anymore. Feeling alone and frozen, unable to plan ahead or get my thoughts in order. 

6 Replies 6

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sunflower23, a challenging breakup is very difficult, because ou both have to decide who gets what and normally this can cause much hardship when you don't agree on who gets certain items.

If you are renting then you can possibly get someone else to take over the lease and with people finding houses/flats for rent you should have no trouble, however it means you have to find somewhere else to live and perhaps a good friend may take you in or a family member.

If however you are buying your house/flat then by selling it could provide you with some money to move elsewhere into another place, may be in the country, but please let us know your circumstances.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Thank you for saying that Geoff! Appreciate hearing your response and it makes me feel not as alone to hear from you.

Hi SF, welcome

You reminded me of my first breakup at 27yo after 7 years, then my marriage with 2 kids at 39yo, then 51yo after 10 years, now happily married for 12 years. It never gets any easier.

Confidence takes a battering, rebuilding takes drive and we have to push through it to reach a neutral place whereby we can rebuild. 

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/the-best-praise-you-ll-ever-get/td-p/134999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aFh7OJMNA

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/meditation-words-of-wisdom-it-helped-me-for-25-year...

I hope that helps. Yes as Geoff said, might have to move house to begin afresh

TonyWK

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sunflower23,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a challenging time at the moment, I hear you. I know you said it is hard to plan ahead, and that is normal when you are putting your energy into trying to move on or feel okay again, but have you considered moving out? Even if you go to an air bnd for a week, just to get out of the physical space and into somewhere new? That might help you get your head together. If you continue to struggle, don't hesitate to reach out again or to a mental health professional who can help you xx

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

Thank you White Knight/ Tony for sharing your story and lived experiences. I appreciate your comments and thank you for the links you have shared. I definitely want to start afresh, find a new place and make new memories. 

Thank you Jaz for your empathetic response and for your kindness. You words have given me food for thought. I am seeking alternate accomodation currently as my lease ends soon. Once in a new place, I think I will feel more at peace.