FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social Distancing Film Club

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

I hope everyone is staying safe and well during this hectic time. Since it looks like a fair number of us are due for some extended time inside, I thought I might poke around Netflix and see what was available that I might recommend. I think this would be a great place to talk about films, especially our favorites to watch when home sick or our go-to rewatchables. The ones below are all available on Australian Netflix as of the time of posting. I did my best to avoid anything too heavy/serious/related to sickness!

Action & Adventure:

Princess Mononoke (1997): Gorgeously animated environmentalist fairytale with great English-language voice acting
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum (2019): incredibly stylish, hyper-violent third entry in the hitman series starring Keanu Reeves
The Matrix (1999): mind-bending story about a society run as a computer simulation
Jurassic Park (1993): Feel-good but thrilling classic about a theme park where dinosaurs are brought back to life
Baby Driver (2017): heist movie about a getaway driver with a great soundtrack

Kids & Family

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (1989): Excellent adventure about the search for the Holy Grail with Harrison Ford and Sean Connery
The Iron Giant (1999): Touching animated movie about a boy’s relationship with a robot
Shrek/Shrek 2 (2001/2004): Funny animated send-up of fairytales enjoyable for adults as well
Matilda (1996): Danny DeVito’s adaptation of the Roald Dahl story of a precocious girl and the unimpressive adults in her life
Hairspray (2007): campy adaptation of the John Waters original about an aspiring singer in 1960s Baltimore

97 Replies 97

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Comedy:

Logan Lucky (2017): underrated heist film with Adam Driver and Channing Tatum about two poor brothers who plan to rob a NASCAR event
I, Tonya (2017): Dark comedy biopic about the career of figure skater Tonya Harding, played by Margot Robbie
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018): Heartwarming teen rom-com with great writing and acting
Clueless (1995): Modern-day high school adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma
Pineapple Express (2008): stoner action comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco

Sci-Fi/Thriller

Mullholland Drive (2001): Surreal and bizarre David Lynch movie about a young woman moving to Hollywood to pursue stardom
Uncut Gems (2019): tense movie about a diamond dealer and gambler in NYC played by Adam Sandler
Gone Girl (2014): David Fincher adaptation of the Gillian Flynn novel about a man who appears to have something to do with his wife’s disappearance
Event Horizon (1997): eerie cult classic sci-fi horror about a space ship that attempts a rescue mission
Jaws (1975): indisputable classic about a quiet beach town haunted by a bloodthirsty shark

Feel free to respond with your own recommendations, or any comments on mine!

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi uncut_gems, thanks for this thread, how interesting!

I love Matilda, that's one of my favourite movies. I've never watched any of the other ones you suggested but I don't watch movies and TV much and read.

My favourite movie that I've watched a few times is The Departed.

I also like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Tayla

I love the Departed! One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has been on my list for ages– maybe this is the time to finally get around to it. What are you reading at the moment?

That's great that you love it! One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is amazing I think.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, last book I read is the first autobiography of a singer I like, how about you?

Tayla

found all the old Sherlock Holmes films (from 1939-45) on Youtube!

Smallwolf,

I absolutely LOVE the Sherlock Holmes stories and have only seen some of the more recent TV/movie adaptations and have been meaning to catch up on the classics (Basel Rathbone I think?).

I think I'll watch one today 🙂

Quick udpate on what I've been watching so far during quarantine:

- Infernal Affairs (2002}

- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

- Our Kind of Traitor (2016)

- Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

- John Wick Chapter 3– Parabellum (2019)

- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

- The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

- Strictly Ballroom (1992)

- Inherent Vice (2014)

Hope everyone is staying safe!

Warmly,

Gems

many years ago when i was a teen they showed Sherlock Holmes with Basel Rathbone on TV late at night - I think he was the best.

eight
Community Member
[throws a rock at you] psst where did you watch spideyverse. i missed it in theatres all the way back in 2018 and i've been trying to find somewhere to watch it for so long except most places are so desolate. it hit netflix last year but only for north america and europe i think and i was very upset. usually im far too morally bankrupt to do anything but yar har fiddle dee dee but i really. really want to make sure the money goes back to them this time but if you're also morally bankrupt i wont snitch

hahaha I have VPN which doesn't normally work on Netflix but does now for some reason (maybe something to do with the new NBN restrictions). I'm American so I have a North American Netflix account but I don't think that should make a difference.