FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A song to express your feelings

lookingforme
Community Member

At this hour, I find myself particularly vulnerable because I am heavily sleep deprived, and my brain can't really process. I have been awake for 21 hours and 12 minutes straight after a string of nights of only a few hours' sleep. I don't feel well, nor do I feel sleepy. So, I am listening to the soundtrack of my life entitled "Walkabouts" and right now, the perfect song to describe what I am feeling (at least the chorus of it) is Madness by Muse. Has anyone ever felt like they could communicate more if they did it through the songs that already exist? I challenge us to have a conversation consisting of song quotes.

So, dedicated to my depression; here I go...

Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad....Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...I, I can't get these memories ooout of my mind, and some kind of maaaadness has started to evolve. Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad... And I, I tried so hard to let you go-ooo, but some kind of maaaadness is swallowing me whole, yeah....Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad mad mad...I have finally seen the light. And I have finally realized, what you mean....

Ooh oh oh

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Hi everyone, just a reminder that song lyrics are copyrighted material, and we (as in BB) can get into trouble for reproducing them without permission.  If you could just keep to sharing song titles, or one or two lines from the song at most, rather than whole lyrics that would be great - that way we can keep this thread open. ]

1,018 Replies 1,018

Hi Solosombra both great songs. The only Breaking Benjamin song I know is the mixed tape, which is one of my favourite songs. Any recommendations?

Hey Simona, have not heard that song, what makes it special for you, if you don't mind the question?

Hi Pet, it does play a key role in my life. You seem to have done the impossible (in my head) where you can listen and bear to listen to songs that have a different feel to what you are feeling. I can only stomach melancholy she I am melancholy and songs like Brave when it comes to that, when I'm a little up and want to do more. I actually like Brave, made me do something so random and not characteristic of me once, which I don't regret at all. The other song, I haven't heard of. I'm glad you can use music as a tool to pull you out of what holds you back. I use it more as a tool to recognise what I am feeling, because...I often am in denial that I can feel what I feel so they're hard to isolate, if that makes sense...

Well sometimes I like the idea of being high up. It depends on my mood.That song just came into my head the morning after I had a dream about being on a roof. Sometimes odd songs just play in my head like a radio jingle and that was one of them.

Hi Lookingforme, I think I know what you mean. I used to sing and play guitar (not professionally). On a couple of occasions I was questioned as to why my song choices were all 'sad' songs. Sprung! I was singing 'how I felt' and at that time of my life I felt sad, and most of the time. I have since made changes in my life, and as a result, haven't picked up the guitar again. I love the guitar but haven't felt the need to release? There is still a place for the emotive songs for sure, and Adele can stop me in my tracks! I then tell myself "appreciate the beautiful music and lyrics for what it is. It has a place in this world, just listen, don't inhale!"

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Don't inhale! Oh Petra I love that! 😄

We should get together for a jam in the cafe! I sing, and play guitar and uke too. I tend to like loud 'fight' type songs. Tom Petty's 'Won't back down' is a favourite, and Jimmy Barnes 'No second prize'. Currently learning What's Up by Four Non-Blondes (yes, I'm old haha). Great song, tricky to sing.

I also like 'support' songs. 'You've got a friend', 'Stand by me', Reach out (I'll be there) etc. And I like your choice of Brave, great song, big voice!

Cheers

Kaz

Petra
Community Member

Hi Kaz

You too?! Sing and play guitar! Great song choices. I know and like all of these. I may just dust off the old guitar yet! I'll have to cut off my lovely nails though??? Ok! My BB buddies are all worth it! A jam in the BB cafe....what should we start with? Maybe something Lokingforme would like? I had singing tutors (long ago) and on a first visit to one, after showing her my stuff said "you know all that classical training you've had" to which I proudly replied "yeah" thinking here comes the praise....."well is time to forget it...ditch the vibrato." Hence to say after 5 lessons it became glaringly obvious I was a classical singer through and through, the vibrato sneaking in at every opportunity, and there is not one ounce of "hard rock" in me! 😎

Petra, I really liked what you said, don't inhale. Like Kaz. It's too true, but I don't have a real outlet for my emotions, not physically so, the songs help express. And oof, Adele...her song "a million years ago" that just right in the feels as people would say now.

Kaz, what's up is an awesome song. When I turned 25 and still had Facebook,I put up that line "25 years and my life is still, trying to get up that great big hill of hope, for a destination." And I had to wait to turn 25 to do that haha.

Ah Pet, we'll make a hard rocker out of you yet. Never been to the cafe actually. Seemed overwhelming. But definitely dust off that guitar and vibrate those vocal chords?

And Pet, if you can do vibrato, that's awesome. My style of singing is trying not to yell in a monotone

I'll do my best! 😊

Oh. May I ask why you don't do Facebook? I don't. Never have. My friend showed me hers once, over a few days. Scared me silly.

It just got ridiculous really. The only people who I spoke to or spoke to me, I spoke to on a regular basis anyway. Everybody else that I spoke to from my past like high school never got back to me so keeping in touch never happened. People substituted Facebook friends for real friendship and it was like a virus, adding people left and right like that means you've made a real connection in this world. And there were the people who kept updating their statuses every minute...my status updates were quotes from songs that not many people understood, and the only fun I had with it was spamming someone's wall and them mine. I stopped using it, so I got rid of it. It was a good thing because then my friends, when we met, they were forced to talk about other things.

Why did it scare you if you don't mind me asking?