FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi!

Sleepy21- thank you for your feedback 🙂 I'm so glad and will keep doing so where I can! I know that follow/unfollow is such a big one and I hear you and I really want this too. There is so much that I'm going to be pushing for but know that I am reading and listening.

Geoff- of course. I feel just as strongly as you. Theres honestly so much I don't know but what I do know is that I'm not going to give empty promises here.

rt

hey all

i was thinking a bit about some of the repeat suggestions here to ppl to call helplines, i know i've also given tht at times to others as advice, and i do use helplines, but there have been many of us at times who just feel we can't cll a helpline or even that the helplines arent working for us.

I feel the same about the idea of booking a double apt with a GP, and getting a MHCP as a general piece of advice for any type of distress/trauma/grief/emotional pain. I hope MH is moving in a direction now where we see things more wholistically, and also respect that some of these generic methods have unfortunately for some t times been a bad match of even done harm. Not every helpline is truama senstive (unforuntately) and i'm not saying anything radical when I say that also not every GP is trama sensitive, or expert in assisting with Mental health.

It then makes ppl feel worse, when they try this advice, with the hope tht it's "the answer."

Absolutely nothing wrong with calling a helpline or going to a GP for a MHCP, just realistically, for many of us it will be the first step of many many steps, and won't necessarily solve or answer our queries as fully as we hoped. I think we have to be wary of deifying doctors or helplines. I see my GP and use helplines and believe in them for sure, and am so grateful, but for most of my MH care it's work i do on my own, and not because a practitioner healed me. I made that mistake in the past of thinking they had the power to do so. They are collabotores, with us, on our healing.

So I just sometimes feel it's a bit dogmtic telling ppl to go to their GP and get a MHCP, or call a helpline, in all forms of acute distress. It might not always be the right match, and thats okay.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'd like to address the clunky platform...
On my wish list is a more interactive opening screen instead of the wall of categories, headings, and posts, that greet people (particularly newbies) when all they want is help or to express a need. Removing the superfluous is paramount in personalising the experience by ensuring the new user is gently guided through to where they want to be.
A single input box asking "How are you feeling today/tonight, *name*?" can redirect the user to the relevant department.
A response such as "I am sad" trips the Depression, Grief, Suicidal Thoughts, and Moderator Intervention (direct contact) categories. Further questions and responses can narrow this field to the most appropriate outcome (particularly useful in time critical situations). Careful consideration to providing comfort and supportive words generically within the program, can serve to calm/console/empathise along the journey.
Naturally, this places the onus on the programmers and advisory team to define best practice without causing any deleterious effect, but it can 'prepare' the user and help hone their thoughts prior to posts.
An easier task is to 'remember' the user and respond in kind - "Welcome back, *name*" with a list of recently visited threads. A pop-up of "You may also be interested in *related topic*" can encourage delving further or link to similar new posts worth reading. Related support services could also appear based on content (although this could imply/risk marketing opportunities).
Other responses such as "Follow *X*" can link directly to the category, topic, thread, or individual, without further intervention.
The option to "Browse" should still provide the equivalent of the present format (although heavily attenuated to avoid too much 'hopping').

Perhaps a shortlist from the team detailing progress and improvements could assist further contribution?

Hey RT

appreciate the super kind post and thankyou...the Beyond Blue forums require a greater transparency between management & members/champions..... the forums would experience an increase in member participation not to mention champion retention

kindest.....Paul

*Thankyou Katy and Quirky for the super kind posts x

Hi Tranzcrybe

I really like your thinking. I love that you have a vision for the future forum. It begs the question about forum users’ expectations of change.

Sophie, can you please explain the parameters of the redesign to us? Can we expect a complete visionary redesign or improvement around the edges? Or something in between? What’s on the table for change and what isn’t? If this has already been explained and I’ve missed it, I apologise. This will help us better understand what’s happening to our community—which we care about—and help bb manage our expectations.

I really like your point about direct communication with forum users. Fully appreciate and applaud that bb has convened a consultative group to assist with the forum changes.

Yet it begs the question of what role all forum users can play in this change process, as not everyone can be in the group. I’m sure there are many people who can’t be part of the consultative group for one reason or another, yet want to make a contribution.

Sophie, is there a plan to consult with all forum users at some stage? How will this work?

Kind thoughts to you

Hi Paul

Thank you for your comment about transparency and the potential impact of any deficiencies on the relationship between bb and members and champions.

Champions play a really important role here. It’s challenging, selfless and time consuming. You and the rest of the team are appreciated, even if we don’t tell you that enough!

I’m a little slow catching up on your news. So sorry about your loss. Hang in there.

Kind thoughts to you

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

Just a little heads up, I was just told that there was a new subsection around re-design and upgrading to the forums. You'll see that this post has already been moved there-

This is the direct link to the sub which is empty so far, but I'm hoping that it's going to keep all of us in the loop around what's happening so encourage you to bookmark it and chip in where you can

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/re-designing-and-upgrading-the-online-forums

rt

Hi Paul,

Sorry I call you blondguy all the time, I actually do know your name but I've gotten used to using usernames as a go to haha, hope you don't mind.

I hear you about the transparency. That's actually something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm not sure what the answer is but I'm definitely open to feedback. Especially if you have feedback for us as CC's rather than just BB as it's a lot easier to action it.

rt

Hi RT

FYI I followed your link, nothing there.

Why the sub thread? I thought this was the place to: “Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.”

What could be more relevant than a forum redevelopment?

Hope it’s ok to ask about role in all this, as you seem to be really in the loop compared to other CCs. I stake you are in the consultative group. Are you a communication liaison as well? Or do we deal with Sophie on questions etc?

Kind thoughts to you

Hi RT

Sorry for the typos. Meant to say:

Hope it’s ok to ask about your role in all this, as you seem to be really in the loop compared to other CCs. I take it you are in the consultative group. Are you a communication liaison as well? Or do we deal with Sophie on questions etc?

Kind thoughts to you