FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi dear Golden,

No you are definitely not the only one. I hear you😊:)

HI mmMekitty,

I could try telephoning them and asking again if we can catch up in the way I have suggested and explain again why that is.

I have asked if they would like to come to our place, most people don't like driving here because of the busy highway they have to negotiate...which I drive along all the time to visit them!

Today it is stinking hot so I am not keen to be driving anywhere anyway.

I'll try and think of other ways to keep connected.

Cheers to you and all.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mark, I agree we should love one another and I think listen, express making assumptions and taking a role that we know better.

Masks are judt one part of the puzzle....I'll never neverofprget when I forgot my mask and a woman screamed at me jn the middle of a store. We could give ppl the benefit of the doubt. I carry spare and gave my fire d who forgot.

It is a stressful time ATM in Victoria, I've had today awful outcomes in the public system and reaching out for help, so glamorised by some medical minded ppl, has just let me down.

I keep getting told to seek support from family and friends...as as the system is too busy....

I feel that by telling ppl to go to their gps and have a chat we aren't really helping them....I've done just that the last few weeks and got nowhere

I wander how ppl are managing accessi g mental health care during this time . I'm getting nowhere amd getting more distressed daily.

I am sorry you weee unable to get the help you needed but not surprised. The current situation is terrible with so many infections leaving staff shortages in every industry. We can allvsurvive if we can't go to our favourite cafe but when we can't get essential food or health supplies it is really bad. Health care has been stretched throughout the pandemic and now can't function in the way we expect. Not the fault of the staff they are only human. I think we all need to be as proactive as we can to look after ourselves to max our physical &mental health because we can't rely on the helth system to provide the help we normally expect. We need to make choices to reduce the risk of injury or sickness as far as possible. I realize this is easier said than done. My neice has all her family with covid except herself. She is the only one who's had the booster. She has been in close contact with all her family throughout their infectious period. I felt this reassuring suggesting the boosters really help.

One of the great things about this forum is that we can all be connected without having any concerns at all about Covid interfering.

In saying that, I know there are moderators and people behind the scenes at Beyond Blue keeping this forum working. Hope all of the BB Team are safe and well!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Indeed, Doolhof

I wonder how many people working for BB, paid & volunteer, are working from home? It occurs to me, many services like these will have a certain percentage of their workforce, who can & cannot do their work from home. I wish you all well, & to also talk here, when you would like a little support yourselves. 😺

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️for you all.

mmMekitty

Thanks Elizabeth, I've been following your journey and am sorry use also struggled to receive healthcare for Ur husband during this time.

Health care has taken a very different shape and form in covid times. I feel like when I find a good service I benefit from for ,h mental health, its usually taken away or there's a catch to using it.

due to limited supports for long term mh consumers like me, the hospital offered me a peer worker to call ,e and chat with once a week.

The peer worker told me that they work 5 days and if I am ever struggling I can text them and they'll try help or call me back.

For months the peer worker told me they wanted to be there for me and I should text them. They said they leave the phone on just in case, and it's a hospital phone and they will try follow up.

Last week, struggling, I texted the no. No response. The peer worker calls me and I mentioned it, and they said it's not there fault, they've helped me enough already in other ways, and it was Factors beyond d their control that they couldn't answer.

And then they stopped contacting me and I no longer receive the calls.

Hi there Complex little Pirate,

I feel for you and I feel the same anxiety. Funnily enough the kids bought me an oximeter, since my original anxiety was breathing problems, especially when driving out of town or late at night when fear grips you at it's best, and being convinced to the point I had to look at my fingernails to see if they were pink. Even been to the mirror to see if lips were blue. Hey the oximeter helps a bit doesn't it? Still not ridding of the whole anxiety, but avoiding trips to ER which is dangerous at the moment. Walks on the beach are healing and peaceful as I found on my short holiday with the kids, so are distractions when you suddenly find you haven't allowed your mind to play games because you were busy with something. Loneliness for me makes my world smaller and more focused on my fears. I hope you have people you can chat to online or live internet whatever form that is. I wish you well. There are many feeling the same, but it doesn't help at 2am! Just know many of us are up at that hour too for the wrong reasons. Stay well!!!

Doog
Community Member

Hi Doolhof,

I hope you are well. I noticed you mentioned parking in a carpark to see humans. When I logged on to thank the people who supported me going into a fearful and grinchy Christmas at the Ocean, I mentioned how in awe I was that the world was still full of humans! All over the highways, the shopping centres were full and cafes too. We self isolate and forget who we were as people, where you could stop and chat to familiar people anytime.

I live in a country town where I choose self isolation and I often found myself sitting on the cliffs watching the surfers and dog walkers go about life like it was 1999 while I had my issues with being around my own kids because they are social beings.

It's ok to keep going out into the "world of humans" in a safe and distant way. I found it both sad and rewarding to watch the world for different reasons. Take care