FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work Related Anxiety

SilverLight
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Does anyone else find that working worsens their Anxiety? I've been a full time worker for close to 6 years since high school (took 2 years off to study in between and just recently had a baby) and every job I've had I've had to leave because my anxiety and depression flare up so bad that I start getting into trouble. I don't know what to do... My worst nightmare is not being able to work because mental health suffers so poorly with workplace pressure... I've had my share of bad jobs too... For example in my last job I was hit by a colleague for my mistakes. My boss was so abusive when I asked for help in day to day jobs that I was too scared to report it in case I was laughed at or fired... I was then shoved under a bus figuratively when I got into trouble for doing what my supervisor asked and my Supervisor told the boss she'd never asked me to do it... I was unfairly dismissed and thanks to some very dedicated family and my very pissed off husband we won a fair work case. Needless to say I don't want to return to the work force anytime soon... I'd rather stay home with my little boy. I'm scared one day though I'll have no choice and I'm panicking I'm going to have anxiety relapses again if I do...

2 Replies 2

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SilverLight and welcome to our community forums

It's good to see you can share your story here. Well done. I'm not a health professional, but someone who's experience PTSD, anxiety and depression for a very long time.

Being hit by a colleague is completely unacceptable and I’m so pleased you won a fair work case. Can totally see why you’d find it hard to want to return to the work force.

Work often set off my anxiety, not just worsened it. In hindsight, after many years of self care, counselling and medication, though, it was the way I looked at situations that helped to feed my fears. I was very good at telling stories in my head that weren't true. There were obvious work place bullying that did occur which were a trigger for me, which were true and very destructive for people, including myself. These situations were indefensible. It took many complaints and many years before complaints were acted upon. But they were and the bully was removed.

When triggered, I found I would spend days in bed, calling in 'sick with a virus' until I was able to face work and the outside world again.

What has helped me over the years? A number of different strategies helped me cope -

• seeing a good doctor and health professional (e.g. psychologist)
  • talking to friends and colleagues about my work anxieties. In many ways to challenging the fears I thought there were
  • getting regular exercise, hobbies, sport
  • learning to live a healthier lifestyle
  • getting plenty of sleep

I’ve worked all my life from age of 15, retiring last year at 64, except for one or two years for studying at uni and travelling overseas. Not sure how I did it, but I faced my anxieties head on, no matter how painful they were. During my earlier life, my anxiety was never diagnosed. The doctor just said - go for a run to work off my excess adrenaline. Yeh….

Do you see anyone? For example a health professional or doctor for your anxiety?

I see you have a little boy. What else do you do with time for yourself (if you have any), e.g. hobbies, sport, shopping, reading?

Have you had a look through the anxiety forum for work anxiety? There are a number of very good posts. You’ll see that you’re not alone out there. Feel free to join in any of the discussions that you find interesting or helpful.

Kind regards
PamelaR

hi hun let me just say I applaud you in your efforts to return to work. For having that support it's truly gold and you should be really proud of that. Let me ask you a question though if say for instance you have done some partying on the quiet and this affected your work and or relationships. Did you tell health professionals and if so what did they do?

I have a lot of hobbies and friends who share in them. Or have similar interests they have truly been my support. Without them I wouldn't have the confidence to be where I am now. Which is finally at uni and I could be out there soon enjoying life in the meantime.

Hope to hear from you soon.