FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

when is it time to leave jobs and what can you do to hang on a bit longer

car10001
Community Member

hi

not sure where to put this but want to ask following and hope someone can listen.

because the place that am working at is for sale have decided to call it when it sells or the owners 60th whichever comes first because have goals that am wishing to follow at some point and starting to get a bit tired of the hospitality work and always working when events are on and missing out on so much because of it and feel that after 13 years its time to start planning the next move and think its better to plan at some point while you may be able to hang on just a bit longer.

by the time the shop sells itll probably be 15 years in service and after that long and giving up your life its time to get out.

what am wanting to do next is electrical test and tag and add antennas and emergency lights inspection and should be enough to get consistent 2-3 days a week work, plus may be able to take a few second hand things to sell at markets once in while as well.

am looking into testers and need something for now just to get started but dont have much to spend to start off with so wondered wether basic one would be ok for now and upgrade later or should you try get the one you want from the start and is there a way to laybuy it online without afterpay like you would in a shop where the laybuy just gets cancelled if you dont or cant pay and money minus the laybuy fee gets returned to you.

being in hospitality is wearing you down because you work every weekend and every events and every holidays and you just want to go to some events and/or meet people but cant because youre always working and it wears you down and am tired and had enough and have goals and want to follow them while am still able to.

the food industry work is already hard work and has gotten harder in last couple years and will probably never be same plus it isnt meant to be a forever thing but instead be a stop gap for uni students or to just have a job while you work towards what you want.

what could you do to try and hang on a bit longer until you can get out.

you dont always have to leave on bad terms, sometimes you have goals that you want to reach

5 Replies 5

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Car10001,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I agree, sometimes you simply have goals that you'd like to reach and while your job may have served you well in the past, it's okay to seek other roles and opportunities in pursuit of something bigger and more suited to you.

Hospitality can be incredibly draining, I understand. My first job was in hospitality, and it really consumes all your energy, and the demands in terms of working weekends and holidays can be quite taxing.

What I would recommend is sitting down with yourself and identifying exactly where it is you'd like to go next, and how you may be able to get there. If there are any pre-requisites, what you would need to do to apply, perhaps even looking into a few potential organisations that could employ you. If you feel comfortable, you could even seek the guidance of a careers counsellor to help you out. You could also try having a chat to people who are already in the industry to get some insight into what your new role might be like, what would be expected of you etc.

From experience, it helps having another job to go straight to when you quit your current one, otherwise there's so much stress that comes with being between jobs.

There are several things that you may be able to do to with your current job to ease you into a different career path. Perhaps, if possible, you could try relaxing your hours and taking on a few less shifts. You could even try rewarding yourself for different achievements within your current role, for example "if I do X a certain number of times, I will reward myself with Y".

I hope this helps, feel free to keep chatting with us some more if you'd like, we're here to support you.

All the best, SB

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Car10001,

Great to hear that you've noticed the toll that work has taken on you. It can be very easy to succumb to burnout even if you've been in the job for 15 years like you have. I think sbella02 has made some great points and they say its certainly much easier to find work if you are already working.

If you do feel that ultimately your job is getting between you and your dreams then it is perfectly acceptable to reduce hours, take leave or resign. No bridges need to be necessarily be burned if you're open with your manager. I know hospitality management can be quite ruthless but if you feel work is taking a toll on your overall health then you should do whats best for you. Hope that helps.

Bob

car10001
Community Member

hi everyone.

most of you know about the place of work being up for sale.

the owner of work place pretty much allows the 73 year old co worker and another co worker when one or the other is on to work to run the secondhand side however they want and am wondering how to have same chance and/or even be able to run something or sell your own treasures atleast until the place sells.

then when the place sells can move onto the test and tag thing and take some secondhand stuff to markets once in while to sell.

just trying to do right thing and stay out of loyalty and because of not yet having anything else yet.

would it be worth talking to owner of workplace about a few things and see what she says or may it be time to move on but not do anything until having another plan.

sometimes feel it may be time to move on after nearly 15 years in the food side but am not doing anything until am actually ready as it may take a while and was taught to never leave jobs until you have another in case it takes a while.

plus the workplace is for sale and once finding out decided now is the time to plan while am able to spread costs out and while there is time as already know its for sale and it may sell quick and you dont want to mess around incase it does

blues23
Community Member

Hi Car10001

I think you you need to follow your gut if your not happy ( satisfied) have goals there is no reason to say in your current role , if your unhappy sales goes for it . It’s certainly smarter to go from 1 job to another but this doesn’t always happen , I don’t know much about the tests& tag side of employment , can u ask a tradie or whomever does that type of work to train u ? Like take up an apprenticeship? If such a thing is possible I’m not sure , ( I hope no matter what thou it all works out for u and keep following your dreams 🦦

car10001
Community Member

hi everyone

rather than starting a new post am going to ask here (just reaching out to anyone who will listen).

most of you know that the place of work is for sale and was planning to be doing something else no matter if place sells or not at some point after the owners 60th birthday anyway or when it sells whichever is first.

if the place doesnt end up selling what would be a way to either get out or talk to the owner and explain that you want to keep working there but not in the deli side and explain that you are no longer able to do what you used to do due to personal matters or whatever and explain and apologise for any problems but you need to look after yourself as well.

would the place sell eventually or would it be upto you to do something and not wait around if it doesnt sell.

am sure it will sell eventually, itll just be a while and most of you know that once finding out its for sale had started planning ahead while am able to spread costs out in training.

plus with doing something else you dont have as much uncertainty of being called in on your days off.

a 65 year old co worker has left to retire which has made it one less person and also feel like the food industry has gone down in last 3 years, some local cafes are having trouble getting staff, why do you lot think so many people have left food and retail in last 3 years and gone into other things causing a shortage.

why do you lot think so many people handed in their notices after only being back for 2 weeks after being layed off for possibly 4-5 months or that so many people left retail and gone into industries that work closer to normal business hours.

would have done exactly same thing at similar time if it wasnt for the owners.

just feeling like a break is needed but cant afford to take one yet plus the place is short staffed and hanging out for place to sell.

it is sad the place is for sale but unfortunately its time for everyone to move on from that industry and am certainly enjoying it while am there just at some point want to follow the work goals plus have more certainty of not being called in or being taken away from things.