FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

TheBigBlue
Community Member

Yikes!

im sitting here ordering if my work place is taking advantage of me with the current changes due to the current Covid issues & then I start reading through the past few posts here & now my anxiety is raging again.

I’m sitting on the lounge, watching tv, snuggled under a blanket, day off work tomorrow but my heart is pounding in my chest. I shouldn’t be stressed but I am 😫

ok, off to do some deep breathing exercises to get myself back to some semblance of calm

Feeling stressed is okay and common TheBigBlue

be gentle to yourself....you have a day off tomorrow 🙂

Great to have you as part of the Beyond Blue forums

Paul

Mitchy1967
Community Member
Hi guys, I can relate to everyone's symptoms of anxiety. I have just woken up with my heart racing a massive headache and fear of I don't know what? I think I am having a heart attack but know there is nothing wrong with my heart as I have had every test under the sun. This anxiety is so draining! I feel so hopeless and just don't know what to do. I have been seeing a psychologist, tried meditation and mindfullness but I can't seem to control it. I have medication to take when I feel an attack coming on but the symptoms are the main worry for me. I don't know what else to do to try and ease these feelings. I have tried just about everything and anxiety and depression still rear their ugly heads all the time. Some times I don't even know what the trigger is. Feeling hopeless 😞

TheAnxiousOne
Community Member

Hey guys,

i’m wondering if anyone has this weird sensation of having bubbles under your skin?It’s mainly on my legs, but it can happen in my upper body.

I wouldn’t say it’s a twitch or a jerk. The best way to describe it would be as a bubbly sensation.

Please let me know. This is freaking me out...it’s not helping my anxiety at all...

Hi Everyone, thankyou for sharing your anxiety symptoms..Doing so helps others know they are not alone 🙂

Hey Mitchy....your symptoms are exactly the same as mine used to be...and yes they are awful to have...Just my opinion after a few decades with anxiety if I can..The earlier we seek treatment the better our recovery will be..Thankyou for being a part of the the forum family!

Hey TheAnxiousOne....I used to have a feeling under my skin when my anxiety was bad and sounds the same as you have. Knowing anxiety it does manifest in so many ways...Its another very common physical symptom which is frustrating yet harmless....Thankyou heaps for helping out and being a part of the discussion!

my kindest thoughts....Paul

Taz14
Community Member

Hi all, I have had anxiety for 20 years. Specifically OCD, General Anxiety, Social and Health Anxiety.

My symptoms are as follows:

- Most recently 5 months, wide spread fasciculation's (Muscle Twitching)

-Heart palpations

-Feeling Dizzy

-Brain Fog

-Shortness of Breath

-Feelings of panic, need to run away type feeling - Stress Response

-Sweating

-Hyperventilating

-Tremors, feeling vibrations in random spots under my skin...imagine like a phone is on your skin type feeling

-Feeling in another zone, like I'm floating in reality during severe anxiety

-Night mares, really graphic , frighting night mares

-Feelings of being different and very self critical of myself

-Stabbing pains that moves around to different spots

-Fatigue

The list goes on, so many strange things.....

Thanks blondguy. I am having a really bad week and am beside myself with all the symptoms. I feel like I am going to throw up and have been feeling like that all day today. I am distracted and don't want to talk as it uses up too much energy. I am hoping that tomorrow is a better day. Is it possible to be anxious 24/7? I have been like this for nearly 2 years now and am wondering if it will ever go away or will I ever be able to control it. I put on a brave face all the time saying I am ok to people when I am not. It is so tiring and I feel so lost. I hope everyone is feeling ok and send my thoughts to everyone who suffers with this illness on a daily basis. 🙂

Mitchy1967
Community Member
Hey Tax14, I am hearing you loud and clear. How do you manage your anxiety? Any tips or tricks? I have tried meditation, mindfullnes and breathing but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have seen a psychologist a couple of times and don't think that has helped either. I am trying to be positive but some days it is just too hard. I seem to have symptoms every single day and night. It is such a horrible thing to go through and I feel for all of us who suffer with this. I wish you the best of luck 🙂

brampton_f
Community Member

My chest feels tight as if I have butterflies, but they are not good happy butterflies, the feeling makes me feel nervous and sad if that makes sense.

I shake and it makes my head go almost boiling hot and gives me bad headaches and bad mood swings as an effect of it.

It makes me cry.

It makes me overthink to the max.

Hi Brampton f, I am a massive overthinker to which doesn't help. I know where your coming from. Just last night I burst into tears because I am sick of feeling yuk all the time. Sometimes I just get so overwhelmed and don't know what to do so I just burst into tears. It is such a horrible feeling. Glad you posted on here. It is somewhat comforting in a way to know that we are not alone in this and there are so many people living with anxiety and depression. I wish you all the best. I am always here if you need to chat. Michelle 🙂