FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

University & Social Anxiety

KitEmily
Community Member
University & My Future Stressing Me Out.

Originally I started studying a BFA with a local uni, and hated it. My social anxiety really flared up, and I was having multiple panic attacks in class. I felt isolated alone, literally had no friends and could tell the teachers thought I was odd.
(Just so you’re aware I have social anxiety, anxiety, and I’m on the autism spectrum).

After the worst year of my life at uni I transferred and continued my studies online which I enjoyed.
Now I’ve finished my degree and am going to be doing my postgrad Masters, but I am stressing about what uni I will go to. I’ve applied to one local uni (the same one as the one I hated but a different campus) and several really good online unis. Though I love the idea of being online, I would really like to meet new people (face to face and make friends).
If I decide to study online what are ways I can actually make friends ?
And the thought of studying on campus makes me sick I honestly don’t know if campus study would help me or push me back to how I was before...
Thanks
Kit
4 Replies 4

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Kit,

Well done on having the determination to continue your studies despite enduring the worst year of your life. That shows great inner strength.

I also really enjoy studying online. It's great that you've decided to continue on to do your Masters. I can understand wanting to stay as an online student rather than risk spiralling down again. That said, you may find you have more confidence now to try out being on campus.

If you decide to do your studies online again, you could meet people by:

• joining a local art society, or an art society attached to the uni;
  • volunteering at an art gallery
  • taking up a class or workshop (or offering classes to others)? If your preferred medium is painting, for instance, you could try a term of a local printmaking or pottery course through a community college, to expand your skills and interests and friendship base.
  • if there is a local art cooperative and if they have a store or stall you could join and sell your work through that and help out behind the counter.

Just some ideas ... what do you think?

🌻birdy

KitEmily
Community Member

Hi Birdy,

thanks so much for your suggestions I really appreciate it! super helpful. I will definitely look into classes, and volunteering.

thanks again,

Kirsty

Sophiee__
Community Member

Definitely familiar with the university anxiety! i lived on campus my first year and that completely wreaked havoc with my mental health. youre not alone and there are definitely people on campus who feel the same as you!

If you do decide to go back on campus a few things that have helped me out were

1) just start talking to one person who is sitting next to me in tutorials. Ive actually met one of my good friends this way was just being forced to group work with the person sitting next to me in class one day. i know this can be easier said then done but you can start just by saying one thing to someone who may be waiting outside before class with you or smiling at the person next to you

2) it actually helped me alot to get to know my lecturers. i started by asking questions after class and then move on to saying hi to them when we walked past each other on campus to then talking more freely when i went to them for feedback and things. i personally get really anxious with the whole authority figure thing so this helped me breakdown that feeling and then i was more comfortable in class

3) also just giving yourself that chance to leave if you need. lectures are good for this just sit by the door and no one will even noticed if you get up and leave if it gets too much.

KitEmily,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for writing a post that many people can relate to.

birdy and Sophie have give helpful suggestions that will help with online and offline courses.

Years ago I did a distance course and for many of the subjects it meant a few days residential college at the uni.

Maybe online courses do not have this but some might and it would be a ch ace to meet with fellow students.

Also online courses often have an online study group where you can chat and talk about your course,

i am so impressed you finished your degree and want to study more. I think it is great you want to extend yourself by making friends.

Post here as much as you like.

Welldone

Quirky