FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Think I am fine then I am not

Wilnil
Community Member

I have been bullied for over 13 months at my job. However I kept hanging in there I thought no matter what they haven’t told me or indicated I was doing a bad job so I will stick it out.

I was first put in a role that I didn’t have experience in even though they did a thorough recruiting process. I was employed under certain conditions. I accepted the job under those conditions. I was provided no training despite my numerous requests for help. My supervisor a contractor kept work for her self as she told me she wanted to please the manager and have a permanent position. I was told by the manager I was placed in this position due to the previous person suddenly leaving.

I was placed under a different supervisor who belittled me, yelled at me constantly firstly in front of the team. I had witnesses who was willing to go to HR. My manager requested that I come to her instead of going to HR I wanted to please her. Over the 4 months working from home due to Covid my supervisor micro managed me constantly calling me and yelling at me. I went to the manager several times she always gave excuses for the supervisor behaviour. Later I realised they were both in it together. I had diary entries but no witnesses. Now I am suffering anxiety and panic disorder. Been out of work for5 months on antidepressants. I thought I was better but I realised I wasn’t I can’t do anywhere within 5km radius of my office I am on no pay leave. Senior mgt doesn’t believe me or doesn’t want to believe me as it’s easier to replace me than replacing the supervisor and manager. I am not the fiat employee they have done this to. Even when I talk about work I feel tears rolling down my chin. HR sees me as a trouble employee no one believes me. I have not been successful in finding another job and on no pay leave.

i have been told that I should have done something about it before it got so bad. But I knew no one would believe me I thought if I did have a mental freak down there was a better chance someone would believe me but I was wrong.

All these laws ,policy and procedures but when you actually need help there is nothing to help you. The bullies always always win.

1 Reply 1

AverageAusGuy
Community Member

Hi Wilnil,

I am sorry to hear that you have had such a hard time at your work place with bullying. I have experienced workplace bullying myself and I know first hand how much it can impact a person's mental health. It can make you feel terrible because you start to second guess your self worth. Work makes up so much of our daily lives so it isn't any wonder why bad work environments can affect us so much.

Workplace bullying is a tricky thing because it is often subtle or hard to prove. What makes it worse is that in many cases people can't just quit and leave a bad situation because we rely on our work for money to live. Toxic work cultures are difficult to change. Alot of times people gang up on certain employees because they fear being victims themselves or to shift the blame/ focus from themselves.

I think that you did the right thing by going to HR to try an resolve the issue. Although it seems like they aren't going to do anything meaningful about it, you should be proud of yourself for facing it head on and at least attempting to get it fixed.

My advice to you would be to keep looking for another job, even if it isn't your ideal role. As long as it is in a positive and healthy work environment you will start to feel better and your mental health will improve. In the meantime start spending more time with friends and family who lift you up and make you feel good as a person. You could always do a bit of volunteering or do jobs around your house to feel productive to.

Also, the bullies only win if you let this experience break you! I say good riddance to toxic people and workplaces. Let all of the bullies be miserable and toxic working together in terrible companies. You go work somewhere with good people who are positive and who appreciate your skills and contributions.

I hope this helps. Al the best.