FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Terrified of losing teeth and extreme dental anxiety

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I went to the dentist last November after not having been for many, many, many years. I have straight, white teeth so thought I didn't need to go however notices tartar build up and a slightly wobbly front tooth so the panic made me go.

I had x rays & full check up. I was told that my teeth are actually quite good, good colour and I have no bone loss however have gum recession from over brushing and a build up of plaque under the gums. I had a clean done and was to go back after a few weeks for another clean which I did not as xmas approached a things got a bit busy. I went back for another apt as a tooth was bothering me and saw a different dentist as my apt got mixed up. i told him my gum recession freaks me out, he assured me by changing how im brushing and by flossing it can be controlled and he has seen 10 times worse, not to worry. I felt he was very thorough in his explanations and decided to see him again when a tooth was bothering me. Upon examination he told I have gum disease which the first one didn't tell me. I was shocked. I had the choice of going to a periodontist who can perform a procedure to clean under the gums (this freaked me out) or have 3 monthly cleans a the dentist surgery to try and improve. if no improvement or it gets worse I will need a periodontist. i opted for he 3 monthly appts. I had the 1st clean a month ago. the hygienist was very happy he was able o get right under the gums and told me he could see no tooth movement and flossing has probably stabalised it. I told him of my anxiety over losing teeth, he told me I would not lose any in this lifetime! Last week my son had 4 wisdom teeth out, this caused some anxiety in me and my front top gums started to sting. I thought I flossed too hard. there is no redness, bleeding or swelling,they look fine. it is one area and I'm freaking out, thinking it is bacteria/plaque eating away at my teeth. it does stop sometimes ie when I eat or chew gum. out for dinner last night I had a panic that I wold need the periodontist procedure even though the dentist was happy a month ago. after having dinner it eased up and i relaxed as i spoke about it. I know someone who had painful stinging lips for months due to stress. I'm thinking of going back to dentist this week but don't want unnecessary things done. all this is giving me anxiety and panic. Its making me sick. I'm scared to go back and I'm scared to do nothing.

cmf

32 Replies 32

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi CMF,

Reading through these posts, I am wondering if in the past you have been to a counsellor of some kind to chat about how you are feeling regarding your teeth and anxiety.

I'm also wondering if you were told your teeth were perfect, or if you had your teeth pulled and had false teeth, if your anxiety would then move on to a different part of your body?

Our minds are very powerful instruments, they can make us believe some incredible things at times. Have you tried some of the suggestions Lost Girl made to you?

Maybe chatting about all of this with your Dr/counsellor/psychologist could help you.

By the sounds of it, I would love to have your teeth! Due to Mum being ill when pregnant with me and also my own ill health when I was younger, all of my adult teeth needed fillings almost as soon as they came through as the enamel had not former properly.

I spent thousands of dollars on coatings, caps and crowns for teeth that were literally falling apart and full of craters on all surfaces.

I was the first one at our school to need braces as well. Due to falling over a lot as a kid, one of my adult front teeth stuck straight out instead of down. The nerve in that tooth was so badly damaged that it died and I had a black tooth. Not the best look to have as a teenager. Ha. Ha.

So my advise is to have a chat with your Dr. and to smile.

Hope your anxiety becomes more manageable. From Mrs. Dools

pipsy
Community Member

hi C.M.F. My advise, your dentist knows best. It's like the Dr, he's the professional, he understands medication, side effects, dosage etc. The dentist is the same category. He's the professional, he knows what alcohol to use, how much, how often. People often download info, which gives a general overview about teeth, health etc. You say you don't wish to return to the dentist, if you don't and you use too much alcohol, you could do irreparable damage, which could ultimately cost you more in the long run. Use too little, again, damage.

Lynda

Pink_elephant
Community Member

Hi there. I also freak out about dentists. I recently had to have one of my front teeth extracted and a plate. I was petrified. I had an infection and had to take 4 lots of antibiotics! You know, there are fantastic kind dentists out there, and, if you let them know you are anxious they understand. really they do! love and light

Hi cmf,

A dental degree is 5 years of full time study as well as continued learning throughout the career. I'd be putting my bet on the professional.

With my pain issues my MIL kept recommending a chiropractor (not medically trained) over a physiotherapist. I spoke to my spine surgeon and he said a chiro will give you temporary relief that may last a little while but it will not actually fix anything. This is what I think of in your situation too. You may get temporary relief but it will not fix it long term and could do more harm than good.

You are correct that a dentist is a paid business offering a service just like anyone else however they are never lacking for work so I highly doubt they are trying to mislead you. To test this theory I typed "alcohol rub direct gums" into the internet and the first few articles said that alcohol contributes to receeding gums, alcohol can cause gum disease and alcohol can lead to oral cancer and that's just drinking it let alone purposefully rubbing it on your gums.

The real problem with the internet is that you can pretty much find something to support any side of an arguement. For this reason I stick with the professionals.

I would also strongly suggest reducing what you tell "him". From what you have said in the forums he is a very negative influence who is causing you to doubt yourself, reduces your self-esteem and is actively adding to your anxiety. As hard as it is, it would be great if you could look to another trusted friend to confide in.

Kind thoughts,

Carol

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey cmf

There is stack of great advice above which I will absorb as a sufferer of severe dental anxiety. I need the same advice too. I just logged on a couple of hours ago and just saw your topic cmf.

I have relatively good dental health but my AD's have dried my mouth now and again which opens the door to gum recession which I have and like you I dont want.

I was also super anxious about the state of my teeth and the prospect of losing any teeth too. I had a chat to an angel of a dentist a couple of years ago and she said to me "Paul, you are justifying your gum recession to me because of your AD's.....you have no need to justify your dental health to me as I would rather live a productive life with AD's than the alternative"

My dentist meant that my ability to work and function in my day to day life outweighs where my gum line is.

My dentist is in her early 40'....super kind....a great listener.....and has more common sense than I do cmf..

I could post away here for hours about how to cope with severe dental anxiety..If you wish I can elaborate tomorrow...Just been looking after my elderly mum and my brain is swiss cheese right now.....

Great post by the way cmf 🙂

Paulx

Guest_5218
Community Member

Hi CMF, some very good advice above, which I hope will offer something to you that will help. But like another reply above, I dont think you have a problem with dentists. Certainly you dont sound as though you have a fear of dental work. What you do appear to have is health anxiety. Specifically related to your teeth right now. If you were finally convinced that your teeth were fine, then you may well switch your concerns to some other perceived issue. Here are a few tips for you about helping to overcome health anxiety:

1. Recognition - recognise that you have a tendency to over react and jump to conclusions.

2. Accept - accept that you do overreact and jump to conclusions and that at this time it is just how you are. With some work and time you can curb these thought processes and catch yourself before you start.

3. Rationalize - health anxiety may make you get a twinge in your chest- agh my teeth are going to fall out! This is an example of 'catastrophising'. As a direct result, you are going to have anxiety appearing as the body cannot tell the difference between imagined fear or real fear. It's only once our thoughts catch up and start to rationalize and control them that we can tell the difference.

4. Distract - Distract yourself completely away from the topic of teeth altogether and go and get deeply involved in something else. This would have been a problem for you lately due to your son having his wisdom teeth out, and thus a constant reminder for you.

5. Educate yourself - Internet surfing has increased health anxiety many fold, as people google in one or two symptoms and are subsequently horrified and then panicked at what comes out. If you are naturally a very inquisitive person and like to get to the bottom of things, you should try to educate yourself well and not just in short bursts courtesy of Websites. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I recall reading somewhere that you have previously been to a psychologist, but found them to be of no benefit to you. Do you think it would be worth trying again? Perhaps this time you will get one that you feel more comfortable with who can help you. CBT therapy I believe can be quite effective for health anxiety. Another option is to try Mindfulness or meditation which you may find beneficial during times of high anxiety.

I hope something I have posted here may be of some help to you CMF, as I know you are really suffering right now. And I want to help.

Sherie xx

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Paul and Sherie,

Paul, thanks for telling me about your situation. I would love to hear more about how you coped when you have time. Your mum is your priority now.

Sherie, yes I agree with you re health anxiety. I found a good article re this and I am keen toread up a bit more. My health anxiety ectends to my kids too. My little miss ha heart surgery hrn she was newborn, everytime she has a cough or cold or anything hat kids pick up I panic, thunbking she will end up in icu again. My son's wisdom teeth hasn't helped. I was anxious for him re pain etc and seing him in pain makes me sared fo the pain I will go through if I need some dental work done.

I didnt get much sleep last night. Woke during the night with anxiety I'm exhausted now and anxious about being anxious.

Thanks all for your support.

cmf

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
so ive read aloe vera gel is good for gums. I bought some from a health food store and asked if it was to put on my gums. the guy said yes. looking t the ingredients now it is full of added things so it is nit pure aloe vera even though it says organic. now I'm scared ive done more damage by using it. I woke up anxious and I'm pretty sure this is the reason why as I'm worried about this gel now that I have been putting on my gums the last few days. ive used ir every now and then over the last few moths, not every day and not all over and it does soothe but all these chemicals now. what have I done now???

pipsy
Community Member

Hi cmf. Might pay to see your dentist for some advise there. I used to buy Bonjela, wow, did it 'bite'. Painful. Try using Kenalog, put a small amount (no more than 6mm), on the affected area, preferably at bedtime. Don't rub in. Only other alternative, as I said, dentist.

Lynda.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Morning cmf, Carol and Lynda might give me a smack with this but it just worked for me. Listerine with a light brush does destroy more bacteria than anything....as it contains alcohol I rinse well then brush afterwards with synsodyne which takes away the sensitive and painful gums that I used to have. Then rinse again.

I have 'stable' gum recession but reduce my bacteria levels big time by doing so. (and have the best breath in Victoria)

When my anxiety was severe I used to pay an extra $70-00 for an IV sedation (not a general anesthetic)..I felt like I was in the chair for 30 seconds not an excruciating 30 minutes....ahhhhhhhh:-) Paulx