FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic attacks

Miacruiser
Community Member
Hi, I’m new to all of this but I need advice and support a couple of months ago I started having panic attacks (which I didn’t know what they were) until my dr diagnosed me and he has put me on medication starting on low dose I’ve only been on them for 1 week but I haven’t been out of the house as I’m scared to have a panic attack, does anyone have suggestions what I can do to get back into normal activities?
5 Replies 5

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Miacruiser and welcome to Beyond Blue

You've made a start on how to manage your panic attacks. You've found your way to our forums and posted. That's not easy, so you've done well!!

I'm not a health professional, though I have lived experienced with PTSD, anxiety and depression. So I'm happy so share some of my coping mechanisms with you.

When I first started taking medication, it took about 4-6 weeks to take effect. It doesn't happen overnight. If things haven't improved by about 8 weeks then I'd return to the doctor and talk about it. Sometimes a change of medication is necessary.

During those 4-6 weeks there are lots of things you can do to help reduce the feelings of panic. Slowing my breathe, breathing through my diaphram and counting to myself as I do helps enormously. The reason this works is, there is a mechanical reaction in your gut to the slowing of the breath. This reaction helps to moderate the flow of adrenaline that's arisen because of the fright/flight response. It takes awhile to get the hang of it if you're not use to breathing into your diaphram.

Other tips include - grounding, mindfulness, exercising, eating healthly. One good tip is writing in a journal (or journaling for short).

You're not alone Miacruiser. There are many of us here who experience anxiety on a regular basis. Many of us have learnt what works best to help reduce the impact. Feel free to browse our forums and join discussions that you think suit your situation.

Keep updating us here about how you if you want. No pressure.

Also, the tips I've given you above are explained more fully in other threads. Try - Tips for Managing Anxiety under the Anxiety forum.

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Thank you PamelaR I will take that on board and practice breathing. I still haven’t managed to drive anywhere as when I get into the car I start to panic it’s really hard having 3 young children at this time of year and I can’t go anywhere 😢

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Miacruiser

Maybe when you get into the car - sit and focus on your breathing. Try to get it to slow down. Focus on the steering wheel, let you hands ground to the wheel, slowly breathing, counting, let your shoulders drop. Close your eyes, image being in a calm state. I expect that's going to be really difficult with 3 young children.

Do you have any of the calming music apps? Something where you can put headphones on and listen to? Or maybe that's too difficult with the kids? Sounds like you might need a little assistance. Do you have a trusted family member or friend you can come to give you a hand? Someone to manage the children while you ground yourself a little.

Hope some of this helps Miacruiser.

PamelaR

Yes I do have family support who have been driving the kids around which has been great I’m just not sure when to go all in again do I wait until maybe the medication has kicked in?

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm not a health professional so can't really advise you on that Miacruiser.

From my experience, medication is only one aspect to the management of anxiety. For me the biggest learning is how to manage the attacks when I'm out and about. Lessons learnt -

• I no longer fear the fear of panic attacks. I have them while I'm out. I recognise them for what they are and focus back on what I'm out and about for. (Doing my breathing all the time. The panic reduces slowly).
  • Fear cannot hurt me (unless of course I'm in real danger)
  • I look around me and tell myself I'm safe.

Not sure if you want to share more of your story. If you do, are you able to share what has happened recently that's caused this latest attack? It's okay if you don't. No pressure at all Miacruiser.

Kind regards

PamelaR