FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic attacks, fear of panic attack again and hightened anxiety

Purple_Polka_Dot
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I recently (3 weeks or so ago) had a panic attack that lasted I think for about an hour, where I was hyperventilating and my arms and legs were going numb. I felt like I was going crazy at the time. I had a series of events on a trip I was on, that I had planned, go wrong that were sort of out of my control to an extent. At the time I felt like it was all my fault, I know now that it was really just bad luck. At the time I was with two friends who called 000, and an ambo helped me calm down by talking to me. This is the second panic attack I have had in the last 6 months, first one also lasted at least an hour, but was brought on by sharp sudden pain caused by a health condition that has now been resolved. Since the most recent panic attack, the first week after, almost every day I could feel my breathing getting faster, and I was terrified I was going to have another panic attack. I decided to go see a doctor 2 weeks ago, and she asked me to do the K-10 test, which I did and she said I had moderate signs of anxiety. I really just felt like I needed some medication to help calm me. I had tried meditation, and wasn't working for me, and tried to slow my breathing, which also wasn't working. I severely dislike tea and ginger, so that was a no go. The doctor gave me the referral to see a psychologist, but I don't feel like it is for me. She told me some excuse saying she wouldn't give me any meds, and I have only just realised that the medical clinic I went to, have signs up saying all doctors are not allowed to prescribe the meds that I wanted to talk to her about. I feel a bit like, she didn't want to be honest with me, that she just couldn't prescribe them. Do you think it would be okay to see a different doctor about my options? I feel like at the moment, as much as anxiety is a normal response to stressful situations, every time anything small happens my anxiety goes through the roof and it takes me ages to get over it or calm down, even if it is a silly thing to be anxious about.

Sorry for the super long question....

Thanks in advance, I guess!

3 Replies 3

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Purple Polka Dots,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry you are suffering from some heightened anxiety.

It is definitely ok to go see another doctor and get a second opinion. You need to be comfortable with your GP.

Just be aware that medication is no longer the first treatment that doctors use for anxiety. Doctors are also moving away from prescribing sedatives for anxiety. They may offer you antidepressants, but these can take 2-6 weeks to start working and may have other side effects.

Psychological treatment can be very effective. Even if you are on medication it is important to continue psychological treatment, as there is no medication that will completely eradicate anxiety.

I hope you find a doctor you like and can talk to honestly.

Kind thoughts, Jess

Amz87
Community Member

Yes definitely see another Dr if you’re not happy.

But I would definitely recommend seeing the psychologist as well, meds and therapy together work better than just meds alone.

Swan_13
Community Member

Hi Purple Polka Dot,

It sounds like your panic attacks have gotten to the point where you feel you need to intervene quickly. It must have been really scary being in that position. I get that when it starts manifesting into physical pain/reactions, the logical option is to seek medication to make the physical pain go away.

You're spot on in saying that anxiety is a normal response to stressful situations. Sometimes, we misinterpret what types of situations are worth having such a reaction to and what types of situations (like those 'silly things' you mention) are not. Looking at it from a non-medical point of view, I guess the benefit of seeing a psychologist may be getting some mental tools to help you make appropriate judgements and evaluations of situations as they arise. This may have a flow on effect and help to reduce those physical reactions.

In saying all this, everyone is different and it takes time to find what will work for you 🙂